Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

KZ Watchtowers

Article about: KL-Herzogenbusch: The modern museum complex located at Vught, near 's-Hertogenbosch in the Netherlands has a reconstructed section of the camp, complete with several watchtowers. The vast ar

Default Re: KL Guard towers

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Haunting and cold the snow pictures tell the story the best!
    True, it's hard to get the same feeling when it's a lovely sunny day.

Dachau - December 2011
    KZ Watchtowers

?

The most infamous of all, the main gate and watchtower at Auschwitz-II, Birkenau. An abhorrent structure, if ever there was.

Views from inside, looking out over some of the vast Birkenau complex.

Firstly, a view covering the perimeter and camp BIa (women's camp). The next image shows the view over the right hand sector of the camp, i.e. BII and BIII. The sector designated BIIa, shown in this image, was used as a quarantine camp. Camp BIII, "Mexiko", so called due to the colourful blankets worn by the inmates who arrived there, can be seen in the background. This section of the camp was never completed, yet plans were already in place for expansion. The third and final view from the tower, shows the rail tracks that lead to the Krematoria complex. Here, Krematoria II and III stood, with Krematoria IV and V located to the right, hidden from view among the trees. Finally, an image showing the interior of the tower.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ Watchtowers   KZ Watchtowers  

KZ Watchtowers   KZ Watchtowers  

?

Exterior views of the main entrance and guard tower, Auschwitz-II, Birkenau.

Initial view of the approach to the KL, showing the imposing main gate and tower structure. Secondly, a close up view taken as one enters the camp. Finally, an image from inside the complex, taken from the rail tracks looking back toward the main entrance and tower, as night descends upon Birkenau.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ Watchtowers   KZ Watchtowers  

KZ Watchtowers  

I can only imagine how harsh the winters were for the inmates, temperatures well below freezing and only having those thin camp uniforms.

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I can only imagine how harsh the winters were for the inmates, temperatures well below freezing and only having those thin camp uniforms.
    Indeed Gunny. That was a point I made during my first visit to the site. The small group of visitors who had braved the elements, were listening to the guide's description of life in the barracks. I noticed how everybody was shaking with the cold, despite our modern high-tech winter layers we were all wrapped up in. When I started to describe the clothing worn by the inmates, everybody seemed almost embarrassed to have been shivering so much. It certainly emphasizes the extremity of the conditions.

Regards,

Carl

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    Indeed Gunny. That was a point I made during my first visit to the site. The small group of visitors who had braved the elements, were listening to the guide's description of life in the barracks. I noticed how everybody was shaking with the cold, despite our modern high-tech winter layers we were all wrapped up in. When I started to describe the clothing worn by the inmates, everybody seemed almost embarrassed to have been shivering so much. It certainly emphasizes the extremity of the conditions.

Regards,

Carl
    Not even decent footwear, clogs and no socks.

?

The image below shows a watchtower/shelter installation, erected near the Haupteingang (main entrance) to the Häftlingslager (inmate camp) at KL-Mittelbau-Dora. For many years, the structure was erroneously labelled as a tower built on top of a Gestapo/SS torture chamber, when it fact, its purpose was to protect the SS guards from the increasing allied air activity above the Nordhausen industrial region.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ Watchtowers  

?

The structure shown above, is one of the few existing watchtowers at sites of former Konzentrationslagers, that is accessible to visitors. Shown below is a view taken from inside the post, looking out towards the location of the former SS-Lager. In the background, the Kohnstein can be seen. Toward the right of the image, and hidden from view, the entrances to the massive tunnel complex where the "V-weapons" were constructed are located.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ Watchtowers  

KZ WatchtowersKZ Watchtowers
    I hope you don't mind me posting these Carl, taken at Auschwitz I in 2008 during my first visit to Krakow. Not a guard tower but a shelter, great how the guards with proper winter uniforms get a cozy little cabin, while the inmates are stood shivering for hours sometimes.
    Sorry for the low quality as i only had a compact camera with me.

?

Quote by octavian View Post
    Do any of these KL towers have or had Heavy MG mounts?
    No octavian, I have never noticed any MG mounts present.

Regards,

Carl

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast