Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Largest KL in France - Natzweiler-Struthof

Article about: Here some photo's off my visiting in 2011 to the largest concentration camp in France. It's situated in Natzweiler and it's called " Struthof ".........

A truly amazing thread with very excellent pictures, chilling, goosebumps... So good that it was all preserved.

Oublier jamais!

?

A short walk from the main camp entrance, the former home of the Kommandant. Note the swimming pool visible to the left of the image.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Largest KL in France - Natzweiler-Struthof  

?

Incidentally, the reason for the use of both Natzweiler and Struthof when addressing the camp, is the former location of the earlier camp - Struthof, as it was known. Two images below show the grounds of the former garages and workshops at the earlier site. The Häftlingsunterkunft (prisoner accommodation), was located within a large structure to the side of these grounds. Today, it serves as a restaurant.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Largest KL in France - Natzweiler-Struthof   Largest KL in France - Natzweiler-Struthof  

?

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Near this camp, one other : Schirmeck, one letter I have

Some information...
    http://www.resistance-deportation.or...sing_Paras.pdf
    An interesting example, thank you for sharing it. The camp at Schirmeck-Vorbrück was a Sicherungslager (Security Camp). Inmates at Schirmeck-Vorbrück were sometimes transferred to sub-camps of Natzweiler-Struthof, such as Außenlager-Haslach (aka "Barbe"). The Schirmeck camp had a close connection with the Natzweiler-Struthof camp, aided by its close proximity. One possible sub-camp of Natzweiler, located at Rastatt - later site of French Military Tribunals, possibly came under the administration of Schirmeck-Vorbrück.

?

Today, 23rd November 2016, marks the 72nd anniversary of the liberation of Natzweiler-Struthof. On this day in 1944, American troops arrived at the site where tens of thousands had died. Due to the advancing allied forces, the SS had already began their process of departure in September, with outbound transports of inmates to numerous other Konzentrationslagers. Following the abandonment of the Stammlager (Main Camp) at Natzweiler-Struthof, the sub-camp system continued to operate and did so until as late as spring 1945. The majority of the final prisoners to be held within the Natzweiler-Struthof camp system had to wait much longer to be liberated, with forced marches headed south to KZ-Dachau, near München, the destination for many of them. Dachau itself was not liberated until later that spring, on 29th April 1945.

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Largest KL in France - Natzweiler-Struthof   Largest KL in France - Natzweiler-Struthof  

While it's good that future generations will able to see the inhumanity of these Camps, it still makes me numb when you see the Execution cells etc..

So much detail was given to the Murders, it makes you wonder the mind set of these people..

The Camp Commanders home, complete with Swiming Pool, just shows the complete lack of sanity.

I've been to two Camps, just to show my respects and hopefully the people who died here, will know they are not forgotten.

May They Rest In Peace.

I was never in this camp, When i was in Alsace I was looking for the SS School near Obernai.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

Today, 23rd November 2019, marks the 75th anniversary of the liberation of KL-Natzweiler-Struthof. From noon, the site will be closed to visitors today, due to the commemorative events taking place on the grounds of the former concentration camp.

Carl,
    Thank you for keeping these threads alive.
    We should never forget.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3