Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mauthausen Execution Room - Genickschussecke

Article about: Of the near 100,000 victims who perished within the Mauthausen camp system, many died at this spot - the Genickschussecke (neck shooting corner). The Genickschuss method of shooting a single

?

Default Mauthausen Execution Room - Genickschussecke

Of the near 100,000 victims who perished within the Mauthausen camp system, many died at this spot - the Genickschussecke (neck shooting corner). The Genickschuss method of shooting a single round into the nape of the neck was used at many concentration camps, where a fake height measuring facility known as a Genickshussanlage (neck shooting facility) was sometimes employed. Such apparatus can be seen today at Buchenwald - see the thread link below.

At Mauthausen, the murderers were also creative in concealing the fate of their prey. The room pictured below is part of the underground bunker and crematorium facility at KZ-Mauthausen, near Linz. Here, under the guise of photographic records, many inmates were murdered by a single shot to the neck. SS staff organised the prisoners into a queue near the entrance where the inmates expecting to have their photographs taken waited. Below ground, a camera was erected near the corner of the room and even covered with a dark blanket to complete the ruse. Then, the prisoner was brought down the stairs, the door was closed and after being positioned in front of the camera, the inmate was shot from behind. Members of the Sonderkommando, waiting in the mortuary next door, were then summoned to hurriedly remove the corpse and clean all traces of blood before the next prisoner was called to enter the underground execution site. A folding table with a trap floor was also used for hangings in this room - the table is currently on display within the memorial museum at Mauthausen and is pictured below.

Link to the Buchenwald thread (see image no.8) - http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...henwald-89550/
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mauthausen Execution Room - Genickschussecke   Mauthausen Execution Room - Genickschussecke  

?

Buchenwald made quite an impression me, as it was the first one of its kind, that I saw.

Along with these photos Carl..I am quite sure the dampness in the air adds to the horror of this room. Photos tell a story..but to be there and see and feel it..tells a greater story. I just get the creeps being around certain SS artifacts...or SS high leader personal effects. I think for me to even touch the walls of these places would leave a lasting effect. Thanks for posting this Carl! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you for this post, very sobering as I had two relatives die at Mauthausen. Thank you again, it made me think of them and remember them again.

Another very interesting but sobering thread. Thank you Carl!.......

The level of cruelty that went into thinking up this idea is unimaginable.

?

Quote by TestMatch View Post
    Thank you for this post, very sobering as I had two relatives die at Mauthausen. Thank you again, it made me think of them and remember them again.
    It is indeed a very sobering read. The study of these sites and the horrors of this dark chapter of our history can at times be a difficult task, yet I feel driven to pursue this topic as thoroughly as possible. The memory of those who suffered and died at these camps, such as your relatives who I am sorry to hear about, must not and never will be forgotten.

- - Updated - -

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    The level of cruelty that went into thinking up this idea is unimaginable.
    Indeed it is Dave. But one of many dark methods employed within the Konzentrationslagers system.

Shalom Carl many thanks.

?

Carl this is a very interesting & sad story...Thanks for the info it makes the mind think very hard how??. Cheers Terry

As ever a chilling and thought provoking thread Carl. It still seems incredible to me that there were so many lagers undertaking this heinous crimes , and yet it took so long for the world to find out(or acknowledge them as that may be a better term!). Thank you once again for this insight into the cruelty and horror of the Third Reich. Leon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast