Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Memorial to the Jews of Beroun

Article about: This memorial marker, erected outside a bank facing the town square in Beroun, Bohemia, commemorates the numerous Jewish victims of the Nazis, who died during 1939-1945.

?

Default Memorial to the Jews of Beroun

This memorial marker, erected outside a bank facing the town square in Beroun, Bohemia, commemorates the numerous Jewish victims of the Nazis, who died during 1939-1945. Beroun is located approximately 20 km (12.4 miles) southwest of central Prague.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Memorial to the Jews of Beroun   Memorial to the Jews of Beroun  

I find myself drawn to KZ studies lately, a staggering amount of info on the web, a lot on Wikipedia. Any chance of a translation of the plaque?

?

Quote by Larboard View Post
    I find myself drawn to KZ studies lately, a staggering amount of info on the web, a lot on Wikipedia. Any chance of a translation of the plaque?
    The plaque states "In memory of the Jews of Beroun, who were killed during the years 1939-1945" then lists the individuals by name.

There is indeed, a vast amount of information related to the KZ system available on the Internet...just be careful where you choose to tread...

Carl

Another great example of the atrocities of the Third Reich being exposed. Every soul deserves to be remembered, even if they have been robbed of their name! Leon.

Can you tell us abit more,Carl? Was this a single event? Mass executions? How many were involved? Were the killers Germans or Bohemian Czechs?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Can you tell us abit more,Carl? Was this a single event? Mass executions? How many were involved? Were the killers Germans or Bohemian Czechs?
    As I am not aware of any local action as such, I would have to research the individuals by name William. In order to do this, I will need another image of higher resolution - the existing photograph, unfortunately, is not clear enough. But I am in the area often and can do so if I remember to take my camera next time I am there. What I can tell you about the town of Beroun, is that it was on the short list (along with perhaps 10 other small towns) for the location of a ghetto to hold the Jews of the "Protectorate" - a.k.a. Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren (Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia). Obviously, Terezín (Theresienstadt), to the north, was the eventual choice.

Carl

Note: It is most likely that the majority, if not all of the individuals named on the memorial marker shown above, were deported to the camp-ghetto at Theresienstadt, before being transported to their deaths in camps located in the East, such as the Auschwitz-Birkenau system, Treblinka extermination camp etc.
    Last edited by CARL; 10-03-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Keep studying (with us all) my friend! I have personally found that the KL system is the most meaningful and profound area of history. Nothing compares to this wilful destruction of life in the second world war. I will add that the atrocities of the Far East are equally worthy of remembrance. Leon.

?

And I would, at this point, like to add that Leon (among others here on WRF) has gone to greater lengths than most regarding the study of these sites and the events that are linked to them, which is much to his credit.

Carl

?

Using another of my research tools, I have been able to find some details regarding the tragic fate of those mentioned on the memorial pictured above, details below:

Hynek Beck (second name listed on the memorial), was born in May, 1870. Last known place of residence was Beroun, prior to being transported to Theresienstadt (via Kladno) on Transport Y which departed 22nd February 1942. The individual was issued transportation number 250 - there were 802 people aboard the transport, of whom only 55 survived. In October of the same year, Hynek Beck was transported aboard Transport Bv, from Theresienstadt camp-ghetto to Treblinka death camp, where all 2,000 people from the same transport (Bv) were murdered.

Another name I can just make out is Valerie Friedová, who was born in October 1897. She too was aboard the Transport Y, same as Hynek Beck mentioned above. After just two months in Theresienstadt, Valerie Friedová was transported aboard Transport Aq (Theresienstadt to Izbica), along with 998 others. Of the 999 people who were transported to Izbica - a transit ghetto near Lublin that was established to transfer Jews from the Reich, as well as occupied Poland and Czechoslovakia, mostly to the Vernichtungslagers (Extermination Camps) at Sobibor and Belzec, only two individuals survived.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Memorial to the Jews of Beroun  

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Another great example of the atrocities of the Third Reich being exposed. Every soul deserves to be remembered, even if they have been robbed of their name! Leon.
    Well said Leon and i couldn't agree more!....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast