Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mittelbau-Dora memoirs?

Article about: Hi, can anyone recommend KL prisoner memoirs related to Mittelbau-Dora and V2 production apart from: Planet Dora: A Memoir of the Holocaust and the Birth of the Space Age

Default Mittelbau-Dora memoirs?

Hi, can anyone recommend KL prisoner memoirs related to Mittelbau-Dora and V2 production apart from: Planet Dora: A Memoir of the Holocaust and the Birth of the Space Age
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Default Re: Mittelbau-Dora memoirs?

Try a search for Michel Depierre - I know some material exists, whether or not in printed format I am not sure.

Default Re: Mittelbau-Dora memoirs?

Thanks Carl

Planet Dora: A Memoir Of The Holocaust And The Birth Of The Space Age
    By Yves Beon

My God what a book!!

Even after reading so many other accounts of an inmates brutalising life in both German and Soviet concentration and labour camp systems this was truly terrifying reading.

Only missing element I would like to have seen as an appendix is a short essay on Werner von Braun and the other German rocket engineers from "Planet Dora" and how the US overlooked their past during the cold war space-race culminating in Armstrong's "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" in the context of the 20,000 dead slave labourers that died along the journey to man first stepping on the moon, in July 1969.

Mittelbau-Dora memoirs?

The publishers blurb:

".....An extraordinary memoir by a survivor of the Nazi camps, Yves Béon, Planet Dora is a recollection of life and death in a concentration camp like no other. Dora was a cavernous underground factory cut out of solid rock, where life was like a nightmarish scene from Dante: thousands of prisoners beaten, starved, killed, and living underground for weeks at a time. The purpose of all this brutality was to build the world’s first operational rockets: the V-1 and V-2 missiles, Hitler’s vengeance weapons.Some of Germany’s most brilliant engineers were involved with production at Dora, including Werner von Braun, who after the war went on to become the father of the American space program. It was his Saturn V rocket, designed with the help of his wartime comrades, that put the first man on the moon; while the Saturn V project was headed by the same man who had been the director of slave labor in Dora. In fact, some of the very rockets built in Dora were packed up after the war and shipped to New Mexico to serve as the seeds of the U.S. space program. In a very real sense, the greatest technological achievement of the twentieth century had its origins in the enslavement and murder of thousands of innocent people, the down payment of a Faustian bargain that still tarnishes the foundation of our reach for the stars."

I'll look foreward to reading it, i've read this one and can recommend it....http://www.amazon.co.uk/Commemoratin...+The+Space+Age

?

Will have a look for this book as well, thanks for sharing.