Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

MITTELBAU-II (a.k.a. KZ-Außenlager Ellrich-Juliushütte)

Article about: KZ-AUßENLAGER ELLRICH-JULIUSHÜTTE: The largest sub-camp of Konzentrationslager Mittelbau-Dora, Ellrich-Juliushütte was one of two camps located within the town of Ellrich, 6km northwest of N

?

Default re: MITTELBAU-II (a.k.a. KZ-Außenlager Ellrich-Juliushütte)

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thanks for another excellent thread. I had not heard of this particular sub camp before, so I found this particually interesting.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade. Indeed, AL-Ellrich-Juliushütte is not a well known camp for sure, despite it being quite a large sub-camp, with regards to its inmate population. Glad that you found the thread of interest anyway.

Regards,

Carl

?

A link to another of KL-Mittelbau-Dora's sub-camps, Aussenlager Boelcke-Kaserne:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after-...h-camp-281432/

And another to the main camp, KZ-Mittelbau-Dora, itself a former sub-camp of KZ-Buchenwald:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after-...u-dora-274186/

?

Another image of the Küche, this time an internal view. The absolute stillness inside this building was somewhat eerie, a feeling accentuated by the falling snow.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MITTELBAU-II (a.k.a. KZ-Außenlager Ellrich-Juliushütte)  

?

Another excellent thread Carl. The terrible conditions of the camp were so bad I read even Himmler had said the death rate was too high to support the inmates needed for work. The suffering of the inmates here in particular the youth is indescribable.

Most interesting, and evocative photographs.

?

Thank you gents, I appreciate your kind words.

Regards,

Carl

?

As recently as 2009, an extraordinary discovery was made at the AL-Ellrich-Juliushütte site. This artwork was discovered on the wall of a former prisoner accommodation block that held French inmates. The striking detail and colours are still present, despite the decades of neglect the site has endured. Indeed, artwork was a common release for many prisoners throughout the Konzentrationslager system, with numerous examples being discovered at various sites. The main camp at Mittelbau-Dora for example has some interesting paintings on the interior of the Krematorium facility, which were only discovered following work that was undertaken during the reorganisation of the exhibit. This piece however, must be regarded as one of the more impressive finds - certainly of recent years. It poses several questions, such as how did the artist acquire the paint and brushes, or other questions regarding the fate of the prisoner. We will likely never know the exact details, but are left only with this reminder - a thing of beauty that was created in a world of utter despair.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MITTELBAU-II (a.k.a. KZ-Außenlager Ellrich-Juliushütte)  

Excellent work Carl. I like the access to the inside of the buildings. The photos speak much as quiet as it seems.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Excellent work Carl. I like the access to the inside of the buildings. The photos speak much as quiet as it seems.
    Thank you Larry, and yes, it was very quiet. I remember how perfectly still it was, only interrupted by the crack of a twig under foot. The site at Außenlager-Ellrich-Juliushütte is well presented nowadays, yet still, few visit.

?

A new attachment showing a general plan of the camp grounds has just replaced the original sketch. Please see original post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast