Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My Trip To Auschwitz-I, Birkenau, and KL-Plaszow

Article about: These sites should be kept open for all peoples of all nations to come and experience the feelings of oppression,sufferings and the daunting prospect that the inmates had to endure, the imag

?

Default Re: My Trip To Auschwitz 1, Berkenau, and plaszow

well i said it as a comment regarding most camps , not a certain one,

anyway lets not make the thread 10 pages long with only 1 page of pics lol

how things are written and how they are read can be 2 different things on forums lol

?

Default Re: My Trip To Auschwitz 1, Berkenau, and plaszow

went only in Dachau, a sad place as old prisons are... just makes you say WHY ?

?

Gouldy,

Did the guide tell you the location shown in your images posted earlier - some of which I have attached to this post, was the site of KZ-Plaszow? If so, that information is incorrect. The images below are not the location of the former camp. What they do show is the site where Spielberg shot the movie Schindler's List. The movie set was constructed on the former Liban quarry grounds that were near to the site of the former camp. Prisoners worked there but it was not the former camp location - which could not be used due to the following reasons: 1) Jewish law - the site contains remains and 2) the site is also a protected nature reserve.

The actual camp site was established on the grounds near two former Jewish cemeteries. Some of the headstones were reportedly used to pave a road through the camp - a feature replicated by Spielberg for the movie. The reconstruction stones used to form the path include repeats, or doubles with several examples bearing the same name. Old materials were used to construct fencing and other fixtures of the Konzentrationslager for the film too, leading many who find the movie site to believe that they have encountered period remnants. Virtually the entire camp was dismantled by the SS prior to the Soviet advance - far more thoroughly than at many other Konzentrationslagers. A large Holocaust memorial stands atop the hill, a former mass execution site, overlooking the former camp grounds today.

A simple comparison view of the background from the movie scenes - which features the face of a quarry, compared to the actual site - with sloping hillsides, is enough to clarify that the location is often misidentified.

When time permits, I will create a thread showing the actual site of the former KZ-Plaszow and post a link here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Trip To Auschwitz-I, Birkenau, and KL-Plaszow   My Trip To Auschwitz-I, Birkenau, and KL-Plaszow  

My Trip To Auschwitz-I, Birkenau, and KL-Plaszow   My Trip To Auschwitz-I, Birkenau, and KL-Plaszow  

My Trip To Auschwitz-I, Birkenau, and KL-Plaszow  

?

For comparison...

Note the backgrounds - quarry face clearly visible on the movie set image. And several images taken at the actual camp location.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Trip To Auschwitz-I, Birkenau, and KL-Plaszow   My Trip To Auschwitz-I, Birkenau, and KL-Plaszow  

My Trip To Auschwitz-I, Birkenau, and KL-Plaszow   My Trip To Auschwitz-I, Birkenau, and KL-Plaszow  

?

Auschwitz-Birkenau made a big impression on me, when I visited years ago.
    (before the Schindler flick).

?

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    For comparison...

Note the backgrounds - quarry face clearly visible on the movie set image. And several images taken at the actual camp location.
    Thanks for your post Carl

No it was not a tour guide that took us there , it was our own "looking about" and a few others said they had been down there.

Never the less it was interesting to see the site of the film set if nothing else. I thought it was unusual to have the barbed wire still in place with the concrete posts.

Its definitely a country I want to go back to , i loved every minute of it, as did my family

?

Poland is indeed well worth a visit, especially for those with an interest in this area.

Regards,

Carl

Have to agree, for all those who have it on their to do list, do it,

Jan
    ?

A few pics from my visit to Krakow, Auschwitz and Birkenau in june 2013.

https://www.facebook.com/jan.fast/me...1389868&type=3

Best,

Jan

?

Quote by Jan View Post
    A few pics from my visit to Krakow, Auschwitz and Birkenau in june 2013.

https://www.facebook.com/jan.fast/me...1389868&type=3

Best,

Jan
    I couldnt see the Auschwitz-B pics.
    Some pics of gents in their white camo in 39 and of you but no pics from your trip.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast