Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Oskar Schindler tour

Article about: Thanks guys!.....

Default Oskar Schindler tour

Oskar Schindler tourOskar Schindler tourOskar Schindler tourOskar Schindler tourOskar Schindler tourOskar Schindler tour
    A few photos taken around Krakow in Sept 2009 on an Oskar Schindler tour, the second and third are at the Schindler factory, the fourth is a remaining part of the Jewish ghetto wall, the fifth is rhe area of the Płaszów concentracion camp, nothing of the prison part of the camp remains. The sixth is the house of the camp commandant Hauptsturmführer Amon Göth, you can see the balcony from where Göth used to shoot at random prisoners in the camp behind the house.
    We were very lucky to get into the house as it's now privately owned, as we got off the tourbus the guide told us we could take photos from the street, a few minutes later an old Polish guy appeared and started talking to the guide, the guide explained to us that the Polish guy was the owner and he had invited us in to look around. The only place we could not access was the balcony which was dangerous.
    If you visit Krakow you can arrange a guided tour from any of the cities tourist information offices, from what i remember it was about £15 for a 2 1/2 hour tour, don't be tempted by the guys with the converted golf buggies who hang around the main square, they charge a hell of a lot more for a 30 minute "tour".

Default Re: Oskar Schindler tour

Thanks for sharing the images ! The balcony looks a haunting place !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Yup, looking up at that balcony made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!....

Excellent photos, thank you for sharing!

I've noticed that a lot of elevators and escalators in the U.S. are made by the Schindler Co... I wonder if this modern company is at all related to Oskar Schindler?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Excellent photos, thank you for sharing!

I've noticed that a lot of elevators and escalators in the U.S. are made by the Schindler Co... I wonder if this modern company is at all related to Oskar Schindler?
    There may be a distant family connection, my son in law is a elevator engineer and says the firm is Swiss. Oskar Schindler was from Moravia, now a part of the Czech republic i think!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    There may be a distant family connection, my son in law is a elevator engineer and says the firm is Swiss. Oskar Schinler was from Moravia, now a part of the Czech republic i think!...
    Yeah, a quick google search tells me that no, there isn't a relation.

Somber place. That Amon Goth was a real psycho.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Somber place. That Amon Goth was a real psycho.........
    On the tour i asked the guide if Göth was as bad as the film made him out to be, he grinned at me and said he was far far worse and thought Spielberg toned his character down!....

Sadistic Psychopath for sure Steve.I've never forgot the line in the movie where one of the jews stated "don't let him notice you" when speaking of Goths hiddious actions.
    I do enjoy my war movies but Schindlers List I could only watch the once.
    Cheers for posting Gunny.
    Dave

Hi Gunny thanks for sharing your touring experience in a most memory haunted place. I think my hair on the back of my neck would stand up too! Excellent photos ,, the Schindler plant looks in great condition and just as seen in the movie. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast