Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Part of Dachau camp gate bearing Nazi slogan stolen

Article about: Part of Dachau camp gate bearing Nazi slogan stolen | World news | The Guardian German police say part of a wrought-iron gate at the former Dachau concentration camp bearing the Nazi slogan

Larry, agreed. But I suppose the last thing anyone would ever expect would be that some losers would stoop so low and be so brazen as to trying stealing these signs. It absolutely begs credulity that this would happen and the criminals actually pulled off the heist successfully.

Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

A truly disgusting act, the first people I would arrest are the security guards. Firstly as it is most likely to be an inside job, but if that's not the case arrest them for gross incompetence and stupidity. They were probably to busy playing cards to notice a piece of not only National history, but WORLD HISTORY walking out the door! Leon.

No news on the perpetrators or the whereabouts of the gate so far; but in a rather noble gesture, Dachau's Italian sister city Fondi has offered to commission and donate a replacement copy of the gate:

Dachau: KZ-Tür gestohlen: Italienische Partnerstadt will neues Tor stiften - Nachrichten Bayern - Augsburger Allgemeine

or the line given to the Camp curators..." The main office sent us here to clean and preserve the sign"..and thus the Brazen assault becomes successful.

I can not figure out, in plain sight whether in night or day..the center piece of this dark time..can be taken. Maybe Carl should chime in on this..since he has been there. Are there cameras posted anywhere? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

This has already been addressed in another thread, so I shall close this for now and delete it later. See the link below:

I merged the two threads as that seemed to makes more sense than deleting one of them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    I merged the two threads as that seemed to makes more sense than deleting one of them.
    Thanks Jerry.

"I can not figure out, in plain sight whether in night or day..the center piece of this dark time..can be taken. Maybe Carl should chime in on this..since he has been there. Are there cameras posted anywhere?" Regards Larry

Yes Larry, at some of the larger camp museums and memorial sites, there are security systems in place. Guards are frequently visible at Auschwitz-I and Auschwitz-II Birkenau, generally on cycle patrol. The sheer scale of some of these sites does create an issue with regards to the security aspect too, patently.

?

It indeed is sad that things like this happen. History and historical objects are here to preserve the facts and stories of what happened for us and future generations. Sad, sad thing that it was stolen.

I do agree with Carl, these sites are massive and security will not only be difficult but also quite costly.

Here are a few photo's I last year shot that show the gate, as far as I remember there is no visible security like camera's etc.:

This last photo is the path towards the gate.

I visited the camp last year February and wrote a little about it here:

KZ Dachau Visit 16-02-2013

?

To update...

Dachau gate sign Found

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3