Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pramienschein uber RM.-.50, Konzentrationslager Auschwitz

Article about: Any thoughts on this upcoming auction item at Spinks of London? Auschwitz Concentration Camp, Poland, .50 mark, ND (1940-1945), no serial numbers, black text on tan card, `Pramienschein uber

Default Pramienschein uber RM.-.50, Konzentrationslager Auschwitz

Any thoughts on this upcoming auction item at Spinks of London?

Auschwitz Concentration Camp, Poland, .50 mark, ND (1940-1945), no serial numbers, black text on tan card, `Pramienschein uber RM.-.50, Konzentrationslager Auschwitz, black handstamp with Nazi eagle and swastika left centre, reverse blank except for pink handstamp `Mannerlager Birkenau` (Campbell 4189, Schwan-Boling 1721), good fine and extremely rare.
    Estimate UKP £500-£700

One of a number of differrnt camp notes up for auction.
    Last edited by StefanM; 09-09-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Carl...

what makes me suspicious is the waffen ss stamp

?

100% correct example.

?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    what makes me suspicious is the waffen ss stamp
    This, later pattern of Prämienschein was used at several of the major Konzentrationslagers and are often found with this form of over stamp - it is correct. Below is another later pattern example - from KZ-Flossenbürg, bearing a similar mark to the piece shown above.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pramienschein uber RM.-.50, Konzentrationslager Auschwitz  

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    100% correct example.
    If anyone knows about these things it is Carl!!! Leon.

Here's my Flossenburg token that Carl kindly allowed me to buy. It is very similar to you Auschwitz example. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pramienschein uber RM.-.50, Konzentrationslager Auschwitz  

My initial reaction was the perfect kerning (letterspacing) of the "KONZENTRATIOSNSLAGER AUSCHWITZ" to the exact length of the "Prämienschein" line of text above...it looks almost too prescise especially compared to the Flossenburg example where these two lines of text a not equal lengths, maybe I am too cynical these days....always looking for the negative. The font also looks "expanded" in the horizontal scale compared to the Flossenburg example?

?

Subtle variations do exist, but these are all originals posted above. One such variation is the "ä" on "Prämienschein" wording adorning Flossenbürg examples can be found either 2mm wide or 2.5mm wide. The lines are often slightly off edge too, not rare to see that. The concentration camp / ghetto currency area is something that the fakers have and indeed, still do attempt to blight, so it is always sensible to be careful and understandable to be cynical. Below is another Flossenbürg example, showing more variations, including the kerning.

Hi Carl,

The Flossenburg example is exactly as I would expect the lettering to be...all over the place... with no concern about spacing, alignment or otherwise. It is in complete contrast to the Auschwitz Prämienschein which someone has aligned and kerned perfectly, the font sizes are consistent unlike the Flossenberg version and these font and alignment inconsistencies are found on Prämienschein example I found online for KZ Natzweiler.

Below is An example I found for Ravensbruck.

The text is again perfectly aligned and spaced out in the two lines. The font is the same as used in the Auschwitz example. Given that hot metal type was the order of the day in typesetting finding a standard font size that could be kerned so evenly using fine metal character spacers I find hard to believe especially as "AUSCHWITZ" and "RAVENSBRUCK" are two different character lengths.

Last edited by StefanM; 09-13-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast