At 9PM on Friday, we were relaxing at home considering which film to watch. An hour or so later, with hotel booked and bags packed, we were on our way to Oswiecim. A spontaneous trip that was fortunately blessed with ideal weather, we arrived at our hotel at 4AM. After a late breakfast, we headed to Auschwitz-I, the Stammlager (main camp) before spending the late afternoon and early evening at Auschwitz-II, Birkenau. Yesterday, we took in more sites at Birkenau before heading to Auschwitz-III, Monowitz. Later, we went further to Plaszow before spending some time in the historical centre of Krakow. I will address the Plaszow site in another thread but wanted to show a few views of the Auschwitz camps in this thread. Some small changes have been made since I was last there several years ago.
Below, the images are as listed:
1) Haupteingang (main entrance).
2) Courtyard between Block X (medical experimentation) and Block XI (prison block) - the tributes laid at the foot of the execution wall continue to be made throughout the year.
3) Within one of the modern exhibition areas, tattoo apparatus used to mark the prisoners upon arrival at the camp. Reducing a person to a number, the goal of the SS.
4) Lagerzaun -fencing at the main camp.
5) A steady stream of visitors file through the main camp.