Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945

Article about: There are some very evil looking women in this footage, they really do make your blood run cold. It is a real shame that some of these women literally got away with murder.

?

Default Re: SS-Aufseherin: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Excellent info Carl , any idea on how she got away with it !!
    She seems to have vanished right at the end of the camp-ghetto period of operation Paul. A while ago, I found a website that showed a picture of a family standing around a doorway. The caption, dated 1946, stated that the young woman in the photograph was Hildegard Neumann, but that she had married and was then known as Hildegard Geiringer. The article didn't overly impress me though, due to the fact that they also displayed the well known image above, naming that as Neumann also, despite the two women having different appearances. Another reason for my doubts, was the fact that they pictured her 2010 death notice. The birth dates on the card and earlier in their article failed to correspond, so it can't be relied upon. One of the confusing factors is the fact that two women of the same name worked as Aufseherinen at KL-Ravensbruck, even though it was years apart. Earlier this evening, I contacted somebody at the museum so hopefully they may be able to shed some light on the matter.

Regards,

Carl
    Last edited by CARL; 11-03-2016 at 09:42 PM.

?

As of yet, no further update with regards to Hildegard Neumann, but another Aufseherin of note, namely Johanna Langefeld, also served at KL-Ravensbruck, twice, with a period at Auschwitz-Birkenau between. Langefeld, born in Essen-Kupferdreh in March 1900, was promoted to the rank of Oberaufseherin, a level not attained by many women in the camp service. In fact, only two women reached a higher rank, that of Chef Oberaufseherin. They were Luise Bruner and Anna Klein. By war's end, Langefeld was 45 years old and would be considered among the oldest Aufseherinen, most of whom were young women in their early to mid twenties. Langefeld was actually a rarity in that she was praised after the war for the kindness she showed to prisoners. KL-Auschwitz Kommandant Rudolf Höss noted her inept performance in his memoirs. Johanna Langefeld died in Augsburg on January 26th 1974, aged 73 years.

Regards,

Carl
    Last edited by CARL; 02-02-2013 at 04:28 PM.

I came across a recent auction of SS UNIFORM OF RAVENSBRUCK CAMP GUARD GERTRUD RABESTEIN

SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945

Any thoughts?

Alexander Autographs auction house estimate was $ 4,000-5,000 the hammer price was $2750.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Its a sinister looking uniform

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Although I am not the one to judge the authenticity of the items shown in the link, this lot does actually appear correct for an SS-Aufseherin's winter uniform.

Gertrud Rabestein was born in Naumburg on 5.1.1903, so at the end of the war, she would have been 42 years old, and among the more senior members of the Aufseherinnen, whose average age was early to mid twenties. Rabestein was, as mentioned in the house link, posted at KLs Lichtenburg and Ravensbruck. She also served at Naumburg prison. Whilst serving at Naumburg, she attained promotion to Oberwachtmeisterin. At Lichtenburg, she worked alongside other infamous Aufseherinnen Maria Mandel, who was later executed by the Poles, and one of the oldest Aufseherinnen, Juana Bormann, who following her service at KL-Auschwitz II, Birkenau, was executed by the British on 13.12.1945. Rabestein was a dog handler, earning the nickname "Rabenaas of Ravensbruck" due to her brutality. Prisoners were not permitted to wear socks to bed on her watch, often being forced to sit in the extreme cold as punishment if she found out that they were doing so. One of her spot checks was even carried out at midnight on Christmas Eve. Late in 1941, she resigned from duty at KL-Ravensbruck, later working at the prison in Naumburg. Eventually, several years after the war, she was tried by an East German court and sentenced to life imprisonment. In 1974, she died an ill woman in Hoheneck prison, after serving 26 years of her sentence.

Carl
    Last edited by CARL; 11-03-2016 at 09:45 PM.

?

SS-Aufseherin Magdalene Kessel, seen here wearing her winter issue uniform. Note the lack of SS insignia on the left breast.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945  

?

Female SS staff at Auschwitz, in more commonly recognised attire. These women however, were members of the auxiliary staff, and are pictured at Solahuette, the SS retreat frequented by the staff.

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945  
    Last edited by CARL; 11-03-2016 at 09:48 PM.

?

For the sake of completeness and for reference here on the forum, here are the rest of the uniform photos:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945   SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945  

SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945   SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945  

SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945   SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

I should add, I have sought permission to use the photographs from the auctioneers but if declined I will have to remove them.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

What are your views about the label with name and camp etc? Was it common to have them specially made/printed for each persons uniform?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast