MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

SS-Lager Sylt Concentration Camp Channel Islands

Article about: A concentration camp I had not heard about before. SS-Lager Sylt Concentration Camp, Alderney, Channel Islands. Gates to SS-Lager Sylt When the German Wehrmacht defeated the French Army in M

Default SS-Lager Sylt Concentration Camp Channel Islands

A concentration camp I had not heard about before.

SS-Lager Sylt Concentration Camp, Alderney, Channel Islands.

SS-Lager Sylt Concentration Camp Channel Islands
    Gates to SS-Lager Sylt

When the German Wehrmacht defeated the French Army in May/June 1940 and forced the British forces to retreat from the continent, Great Britain evacuated large parts of the population on the Channel Islands, including almost all of the 1,400 residents of the third-largest island, Alderney. The islands were then occupied by the Wehrmacht.

Anticipating an Allied invasion, the German occupying forces began constructing the Atlantic Wall - a series of fortifications along the coast - in 1942. The strategically important Channel Islands were also to be secured. Concentration camp prisoners, prisoners of war and Organisation Todt construction units were deployed for this purpose.

In March 1943, SS Construction Brigade I arrived on Alderney comprising 730 prisoners from the Sachsenhausen concentration camp and 270 prisoners from the Neuengamme concentration camp. They were accommodated in »Lager Sylt«, which officially became a satellite camp of the Neuengamme concentration camp. There were three further camps on the island - also named after German North Sea Islands -, however, they were administered by Organisation Todt. Prisoners were frequently transferred from these camps to Lager Sylt, including many Soviet prisoners of war. After the Allied invasion of Normandy in June 1944 (in the course of which the Channel Islands did not play a military role), the SS dismantled the camp and evacuated the prisoners to the mainland. Only 572 prisoners arrived in Belgium; some of the prisoners had fled, others were murdered by the guards.

Soviet prisoners of war comprised about half of the inmates at Lager Sylt; other prisoner groups included Poles, Dutchmen, Czechs and Frenchmen as well as criminals and people deemed »work-shy«. Some residents of Alderney who had not been evacuated in 1940 were also held at the camp and deployed in forced labour. Sources differ on whether or not there were Jews among the prisoners.

It is not possible to determine the exact number of prisoners or fatalities for Lager Sylt because camp occupancy fluctuated due to transfers from other camps. In June 1943, the SS transported 200 prisoners who were no longer capable of working to the Neuengamme main camp; about 100 prisoner died on Alderney of undernourishment, illnesses or abuse by the camp guards. According to other sources, the camp may have claimed up to 700 lives.

Source: The Information Portal to European Sites of Remembrance, a project of the Foundation Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. It is part of the exhibition of the Information Centre under the Field of Stelea of the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin.

This is a great portal with camp information and contact details etc where they exist for all of the memorial sites and museums.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Default Re: SS-Lager Sylt Concentration Camp Channel Islands

Here is a link to an earlier thread with a post briefly addressing the sub-camps of KL-Neuengamme, located on the Islands.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firear...ands-118080-2/

Default Re: SS-Lager Sylt Concentration Camp Channel Islands

Incredible find!!! More hidden truth uncovered!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello Carl
    I look forward to working :-)
    Best regards
    Norbert

Hi Norbert, welcome to the forum! Glad you made contact with my wife Lez on Facebook.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Podlesny Norbert View Post
    Hello Carl
    I look forward to working :-)
    Best regards
    Norbert
    Welcome to the forum Norbert - nice to see you on here. I hope that we will see plenty of you within this forum :-)

Regards,

Carl

?

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum Norbert.