Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Theresienstadt

Article about: Some photographs of the Theresienstadt prison/camp grounds (Terezín). The Gestapo prison/camp, located at Theresienstadt , was known as the Kleine Festung (small fortress) or Maly Pevnost, i

?

Default Theresienstadt

Some photographs of the Theresienstadt prison/camp grounds (Terezín). The Gestapo prison/camp, located at Theresienstadt , was known as the Kleine Festung (small fortress) or Maly Pevnost, in Czech. It was here that many unfortunates felt the wrath of their Gestapo and SS masters.

Images include...

Interior of barracks, execution site, camp entrance, inner courtyard, staff offices and medical room. Note the photograph showing the rail, and the section of broken stone behind it. This was where two prisoners managed to escape along a narrow walkway. Afterwards, the Germans smashed the stone until the escapees feat could no longer be repeated.

Also shown are examples of the currency that was issued by the Germans. The quality and detail of the Theresienstadt notes is unlike other typical camp or ghetto related banknotes from the period. Ghetto currency was typically more detailed, for reasons outlined in the Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency thread that can be found elsewhere on the forum.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Theresienstadt   Theresienstadt  

Theresienstadt   Theresienstadt  

Theresienstadt  
    Last edited by CARL; 01-18-2014 at 09:06 PM.

?

Default Re: Theresienstadt

I love the notes. Those are rare.
    The photos are interesting.

Interesting pictures. The best time to view places like these is in winter. I did Mauthausen a week before Christmas a few years ago. It was foggy and only about a dozen visitors there. Haunting.

?

Thank you Steve. Indeed, the notes are not so common, especially the watermarked higher denominations, i.e the 20K, 50K and 100K. However, among KL/ghetto related currency, the Theresienstadt pieces are one of the most easily found. They actually produced about five million notes, in seven denominations all told. Almost half were the 1K note, and only 3-5 percent made up of 100's and 50's. Over time, I have managed to acquire a small collection of the notes. They are beautifully made.

Salzburg, I'd agree with you about the atmosphere at such places during the winter. My first (of many), visit to Auschwitz was a long time ago. I chose to go at the end of January/start of February. People said that I was crazy, but I wanted to experience it in that manner first time round. I remember talking to one of the guides about the conditions, and refering to the tour groups high-tech winter clothing, I pointed out that we were all still cold (it was -25c). When one considers what the prisoners wore...well...we don't know how lucky we are.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Theresienstadt   Theresienstadt  

Last edited by CARL; 02-03-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Great photos Carl, thanks for sharing.

Such an awful time.

Arbeit Macht Frei. Such a blatant lie to these poor people.

Josh

?

Thank you Josh,

Somewhere, amongst the magnitude of files, discs and pockets, I have some photographs of the whole area including the memorial grounds. One really must dig them out and share them sometime.

Regards,

Carl

Fascinating and haunting at the same time. A truly nightmarish place, we are very lucky to be in a position to read and learn about such places and not have the horror of having to try and survive them. Cheers Carl, thanks for sharing.

?

Thanks for the comments.

These images show the interior of a Jewish prayer room, located near the camp grounds, as well as a shot inside the prison block, showing a room such as the one where Theresienstadt's most famous prisoner, Gavrilo Princip, the assassin of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, was imprisoned.

?

Various memorials located at the Theresienstadt site commemorate those who died at the locale.

Regards,

Carl

I remember being there in 10th grade and three years ago (went to Praha on my honeymoon). The guy leading the group told us a very sad story about the German propaganda at its finest. How they would build a bathroom/barber shop and get a few healthy looking men to sit in the chairs. They would then take photos and publish them in local papers; the room was all clean, never been used. When the paper was realeased, the men were killed. So horrible.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast