Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Theresienstadt Ghetto Note

Article about: Hello folks. This purchase breaks a long-standing personal collecting tenet. That one being a general avoidance of items relating to the SS and the concentration camps. I have never opposed

Default Theresienstadt Ghetto Note

Hello folks.

This purchase breaks a long-standing personal collecting tenet. That one being a general avoidance of items relating to the SS and the concentration camps. I have never opposed collecting these things, but having visited the site of Auschwitz I and II a couple of years ago, it strikes a little too close to the bone for me. However, I feel that things like this are important. They represent the truth of the part of history that we study here.

I present the item in question. German banknotes of all types have always interested me, as they are cheap to collect, easy to store, and there are endless variations of domestic banknotes, and notes issued in occupied territories. This piece of paper is not technically a banknote, as it held no monetary value outside of the ghetto in which it was issued. They were a means of confiscating money from prisoners, to make any escape attempt even more difficult than it already was.

This is a 20 Kronen note from Theresienstadt (the currency of Czechoslovakia, in which this ghetto/concentration camp was based.) As stated previously, it was valid only within the confines of the camp. These notes were a means of maintaining an appearance of 'normalcy' to outside observers, most notably representatives of the Red Cross who routinely visited. In truth, they were worth very little, and there were precious few places to spend them.

The obverse side depicts a sketch of Moses, holding the Ten Commandments. Originally, it was believed that Moses appeared 'too Aryan', and the sketch was altered at the behest of senior SS officials to give him curly hair and a hooked nose. From what I understand, the infamous Reinhard Heydrich had significant influence in this process. Both sides are also emblazoned with the Star of David.

This particular note was printed at the beginning of 1943, with a date of 1st January on the reverse. It bears the low serial number of 003668. It is in poor condition, as is typical of these notes. They were printed on poor quality paper. Reproductions do exist, but are fairly easy to spot as they tend to be of higher quality than the originals!

A grim little piece of history overall, and one that very much represents the dark side of the Second World War, and the virulent Antisemitism that formed the beating heart of Nazism.

Theresienstadt Ghetto NoteTheresienstadt Ghetto Note

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

Interesting item. I think it is in really nice condition myself.

I'm sure you have done some research into Jakob Edelstein. But if not...a Wiki overview.

Jakob Edelstein - Wikipedia
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Interesting item. I think it is in really nice condition myself.

I'm sure you have done some research into Jakob Edelstein. But if not...a Wiki overview.

Jakob Edelstein - Wikipedia
    I knew it was his signature on each of the notes, but hadn't read about him as an individual yet. Thank you for the link.

B.B.

?

Thanks for posting. You should find these threads of interest:

SS KZ Premium Coupon System

Heydrich and the Theresienstadt banknotes

Theresienstadt banknote first series

Theresienstadt Currency

A forum search will reveal more threads and posts related to this topic as it has bene addressed several times over the years. Some members have kindly shown their examples.

Interestingly, regarding the value inside the camp-ghetto, a cup of coffee would cost 2Kronen, for example.

Carl

?

I'll also add this thread which shows a finely displayed set:

Theresienstadt Ghetto currency display

Thank you for the links, Carl. I knew very little about these when I purchased it, only doing the research necessary to determine that this example was authentic. I intend to do some more in-depth study in the coming days.

B.B.