Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thieves Caught At Mittelbau-Dora

Article about: Earlier this week, two d̶i̶s̶g̶u̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶c̶u̶m̶b̶a̶g̶s̶ men were seen by a member of the

?

Default Thieves Caught At Mittelbau-Dora

Earlier this week, two men were seen by a member of the staff at KZ-Gedenkstätte Mittelbau-Dora, attempting to steal original pieces of rail tracks that are present at the memorial site. Fortunately, Nordhausen Police were alerted and caught the men.

Further details in the link below:

https://www.buchenwald.de/nc/en/896/

Snivelling Sh"@s!! People like that need a good hard lesson about why they have the freedom to behave like pigs! Leon.

?

Agreed Leon. Unfortunately, yet another memorial site of one of the major concentration camps targeted by thieves.

It boggles the mind. It really does. Just... why?

Of all the places they could steal from, they choose to target what is essentially a mass grave. What on earth would they have done with the pieces of track had they succeeded in removing them? Sold them to similarly morbid, morally bankrupt relic hunters?

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    What on earth would they have done with the pieces of track had they succeeded in removing them? Sold them to similarly morbid, morally bankrupt relic hunters? B.B.
    Yes
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    It boggles the mind. It really does. Just... why?

Of all the places they could steal from, they choose to target what is essentially a mass grave. What on earth would they have done with the pieces of track had they succeeded in removing them? Sold them to similarly morbid, morally bankrupt relic hunters?

B.B.
    Sadly Brodie, there does appear to be a hell of a lot of poorly educated fools out there who would "relish" having such items. Granted, some may "feel" that they are preserving history when offered such pieces, but if they only knew how they were obtained I would guess that they would be thoroughly ashamed. I recall when I was at Auschwitz with Carl a few years back, I spotted a porcelain hub, fully marked up from the electric fences laying in the gravel. I was going to hand it in at the gatehouse until Carl wisely said that the authorities may think that it had been intentionally pulled from a post and that we may be hiding "other stuff" and this piece was just a "deflection tactic"! We just left it in the longer grass near to where I originally found it. Leon.

In my humble opinion, one which I am sure is widely shared, these artifacts will always serve their purpose most effectively if they are preserved where they stand. It isn't so much about the artifacts themselves, but about the preservation of a crime scene. These camps, their fences, the barracks, the railways are all evidence and physical proof of these crimes against humanity. As they are, they stand as a grave marker and as a cautionary tale to future generations.

To imagine some opportunist pillock would happily desecrate all that, to serve some perverse self interest is a horrifying thought. It shows that the thoughts and feelings that spurred these atrocities are very much alive and (un)well. All the more reason to protect these places. In a few decades, when the last survivors pass away, they will become more important than ever.

I visited Auschwitz with my family two years ago. As you walk between the rows of chimneys at Birkenau, standing row on row behind the fences like tall red gravestones, you get an overwhelming sense of dread and sorrow that the artifacts themselves, if removed and taken away, would not convey.
    It is all in the context. Remove the rails from the camp, and they become nothing more than scrap metal. Remove the bricks from the dynamited gas chambers, and they would appear as nothing more than pieces of crumbling masonry.

Where it all stands, it teaches a very valuable and humbling lesson. How dare these people, thieves and scumbags that they are, believe they have the right to trample on it all to make a bit of pocket change.

Regards, B.B.

?

"It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Low life scum. Sadly it's not surprising anymore.

So long as people buy this stuff, thieves will satisfy the "market demand". This is why I never buy ground dig finds - could be from somebody's grave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast