Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Very rare Auschwitz postal card 1940

Article about: Dated 1940 Auschwitz (Oswiecim) a one-time permit for the dispatch of parcels to prisoners on the occasion of Christmas 1940 stating what was and was not permitted to be sent to the inmates.

Default Very rare Auschwitz postal card 1940

Dated 1940 Auschwitz (Oswiecim) a one-time permit for the dispatch of parcels to prisoners on the occasion of Christmas 1940 stating what was and was not permitted to be sent to the inmates. For some reason the card is addressed to Italy and to Warsaw (Warschau)?

Very rare Auschwitz postal card 1940

Auction sale at: Aukcje
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by StefanM View Post
    Dated 1940 Auschwitz (Oswiecim) a one-time permit for the dispatch of parcels to prisoners on the occasion of Christmas 1940 stating what was and was not permitted to be sent to the inmates. For some reason the card is addressed to Italy and to Warsaw (Warschau)?
    Thanks for showing the card, but... Where does it say Italy? It's addressed to Włochy near Warsaw ["Wlochy b. (= bei) Warschau"].

Edit: Ah, I get it now: I just looked up Włochy (a town absorbed into Warsaw in 1951) and learned that it also means Italy in Polish.

See: W

The commander -bizarrely- appears concerned for the Christmas cheer of his prisoners..."All received parcels that do not meet Camp Regulations will be confiscated for the benefit of those prisoners that do not receive parcels from home"...Der Lagerkommandant.
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Thanks for showing the card, but... Where does it say Italy? It's addressed to Włochy near Warsaw ["Wlochy b. (= bei) Warschau"].

Edit: Ah, I get it now: I just looked up Włochy (a town absorbed into Warsaw in 1951) and learned that it also means Italy in Polish.

See: W
    Definitely the suburban town of Włochy near Warsaw rather than "my" Italy

Hi Stefan , a nice and unusual card. Glenn, i guess the commandant was a little more concerned for his prisoners at this time as I think Auschwitz was still a work camp in 1940 and not an extermination camp yet? I may be wrong about that though! Leon.

Do not forget this card was sent to the inmates family so the "positive" and " caring" propaganda tone was to reassure the family the German's were firm but fair!

?

Quote by StefanM View Post
    Do not forget this card was sent to the inmates family so the "positive" and " caring" propaganda tone was to reassure the family the German's were firm but fair!
    Indeed. KZ inmates were instructed to use terms such as "I am healthy/well", regardless of their physical and psychological condition at the time of writing.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Nice example Stefan, appreciate the thread.