Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES - Lot of 9 Pictures Taken at KL Buchenwald - Opinions Needed

Article about: WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES BELOW!!!!! Good evening fellow collectors, I have been given the opportunity to purchase these rare pictures taken by an American GI after the liberation of Buchenwa

Maybe I should make my stance on this subject a little clearer. I really couldn't give a toss what anyone collects, each to their own - as the saying goes. But it really is best if we keep our own opinions on other people's collecting preferences to ourselves. If it were not for collectors, most of these historical artefacts would be lost forever.

?

No museum displays everything in its holdings to the general public. What they don't put on display is either stored away where no one ever sees it or sold to collectors to raise funds. At least if a collector owns it, some will see it, whether he posts it online or shows it to friends and family locally.

There are those outside of the hobby who would say that all 'Nazi' memorabilia belongs in a museum, because they see it as somehow important or so offensive that it shouldn't be owned by a private person. Some people think the same thing about fossils, because anything that's millions of years old simply cannot be trusted in private hands (even though most of those fossils are so common that museums have no interest in them).

It's not fair to begrudge someone for collecting things that may be seen as controversial. The phrase 'it belongs in a museum' is, in my opinion, one of the most misguided and unproductive things that can be said to a collector about his collection.

Since when was it not allowed for members here to state their opinions. I expressed the opinion that these photos belong in a museum or similar, disagree with that if you wish but to state that my opinion should be kept to myself or is unproductive borders on being insulting to me, which is not tolerated here.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Maybe I should make my stance on this subject a little clearer. I really couldn't give a toss what anyone collects, each to their own - as the saying goes. But it really is best if we keep our own opinions on other people's collecting preferences to ourselves. If it were not for collectors, most of these historical artefacts would be lost forever.
    In many cases I would agree with you, but in this case I do not and I reserve the right to say so. I also stated that what others collect is fine with me, just these are not something I would ever have bought even when I collected TR German items. Similar sentiments have been expressed here and on other forums about other holocaust related items and none thought then to diss those who expressed such thoughts. So it is OK for you to express your opinion, just not everyone else.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Opinions are like, well...we all know how that sentence ends...

Let's just respect each other and move on - and focus on the items in question, which the original poster requested.

?

To be clear, I never insulted anyone or their opinion. I don't agree that anything is beyond collecting, and I think that such statements are not productive, because it implies that items can be inherently 'bad.' Many here collect items with Nazi symbolism or iconography, and some people don't like that. They would not be tolerated on this forum if they were vocal about that dislike.

I wouldn't want the photos either, but I wouldn't be offended by someone who collects them, because they want to preserve history just the same as I do, even though it's history no one wants to remember.

Anyway, this is the last time I'm posting in this thread, because as Carl suggests above, this is an opinion thread for someone's item, and there's no point in continuing to hijack to further abstract arguments. I apologize to Glennboy for taking part in that.

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    Opinions are like, well...we all know how that sentence ends...

Let's just respect each other and move on - and focus on the items in question, which the original poster requested.

I agree that there was no need to pass comment on the opinions expressed here and it was a needless digression from the subject matter in hand. I would add though that the subject matter of the pictures might have been best posted in a section where a disclaimer about their graphic content was used as a warning to those of a delicate disposition or of a young age. There was never any mention of disgust for collectors of such items, only comments that some of us would not want them and they would in my opinion be one of those types of items that should not be in private collections, but it is only my opinion to which I am entitled.

As regards the original items, the images are not sharp enough of the reverse to see if they are on the correct period photograph paper and many seem to think that even if they are period originals, then they do not appear to be private photographs, though if the latter was the case I would expect them to have been found online or have been seen in books.
    Regards,

Jerry

It is my opinion that if these photographs are un-published images and this is the first time they have come to the surface and seen in a public fora then I am glad that I posted these images - even though they received a mixed reception!

Thank you, Glen.

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    I would add though that the subject matter of the pictures might have been best posted in a section where a disclaimer about their graphic content was used as a warning to those of a delicate disposition or of a young age.
    Duly noted. Title adjusted and warning added to the head of original post.

?

Interesting photos, it would be especial interesting if they are unpublished before.

If they are, congrats on a rare catch.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast