Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES - Lot of 9 Pictures Taken at KL Buchenwald - Opinions Needed

Article about: WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES BELOW!!!!! Good evening fellow collectors, I have been given the opportunity to purchase these rare pictures taken by an American GI after the liberation of Buchenwa

Default WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES - Lot of 9 Pictures Taken at KL Buchenwald - Opinions Needed

WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES BELOW!!!!!

Good evening fellow collectors,

I have been given the opportunity to purchase these rare pictures taken by an American GI after the liberation of Buchenwald.

The pictures are on 'Velox' paper - I have no idea on originality. I have tried to find of any copies of these pictures online but to no avail.

What do you guys think?

Thank you, Glen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES - Lot of 9 Pictures Taken at KL Buchenwald - Opinions Needed   WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES - Lot of 9 Pictures Taken at KL Buchenwald - Opinions Needed  

Last edited by CARL; 06-08-2014 at 11:26 AM.

I personally could not collect anything like that, but that's me.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Items like this should only be in museums or with serious researchers IMO
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

How is it you are identifying the paper as "Velox"? Is it marked somewhere on it? Velox was used on photograph paper in the US from the 1920's to the 40's but should be back stamped with the single word "Velox" on it. If it is so marked, it would indicate the time period used-which would be correct for 1945 photographs.

However... The images, in my eye, do not look like candid snapshots that a GI would have taken while walking about the newly liberated camp. They are all perfectly centered and framed. I do recognize the view of the crematorium ovens, though, and, if I recall correctly, it has been seen before in such books as Lord Russell of Liverpool's "The Scourge of the Swastika" and possibly another about Adolph Eichmann "Man of Slaughter" and no doubt many others.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you for your opinions.

I understood that these photographs would cause controversy and felt with mixed emotions on where they should be held before creating the thread.

As to the 'Velox' markings - I have viewed the same photographs on my iPhone and once zoomed in you can see markings and they are marked as you describe.

Thank you, Glen.

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The images, in my eye, do not look like candid snapshots that a GI would have taken while walking about the newly liberated camp. They are all perfectly centered and framed. I do recognize the view of the crematorium ovens, though, and, if I recall correctly, it has been seen before in such books as Lord Russell of Liverpool's "The Scourge of the Swastika" and possibly another about Adolph Eichmann "Man of Slaughter" and no doubt many others.
    I feel that William is correct and that these are probably prints from a series taken by an official photographer of some sort. As a group they seem familiar, and having looked at Buchenwald photos via google I noted the wagon laden with bodies of dead prisoners cropping up a lot, and the shot of the crematoria ovens too. Whether they are authentic contemporary prints is another question.

As to the ethics of collecting things like this - that is a very difficult matter.

Regards, Philip

?

Having looked again, it seems to me that bottom left photograph (crematoria ovens) is the same -- somewhat cropped -- as one attributed to the US Army Signal Corps, in the collection of the Truman Library (Truman Library View Photograph: Furnaces at Buchenwald concentration camp.).

Philip

I suspect that these photos were period reproduced official prints for the men who did not have cameras available. But, in any case, they certainly do not appear to be snapshots.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

As I have said before on this forum, some people may find it somewhat sick to collect this kind of thing. But the same people who think that may have no problems whatsoever collecting items from the SS - the very people who committed these evil crimes. It is sometimes best to keep your opinions to yourself before you end up being accused of double standards. There are many people in the wider world who consider collectors of Nazi memorabilia as being sick. Not everyone views militaria as we collectors do.

The photographs are an historic record of the brutality carried out by the Nazi's on the Jews and other groups of people. It shouldn't matter who collects them as long as they don't end up being destroyed. The important thing is that they are preserved so that the past cannot be denied.

?

Glen, numerous Konzentrationslagers had a series of images taken post liberation. Many such images were later available through members of the press. Often, liberators and former inmates would acquire copies of such images from the photographer to keep as a reminder of the experience. Whilst examples of this nature are hardly common, they are not quite as rare as some would believe.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast