Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Westerbork camp notes

Article about: Some recent additions to my collection, below are two examples of the camp scrip that was in circulation at KZ Westerbork. The camp was erected initially by the Dutch authorities during 1938

Well this is a bit spooky! Here we are discussing the Dutch camps, and you mention KZ Vught. I've been in Vught, in the bunker years ago, but the spooky thing is; the bunker tragedy happened exactly 70 years ago as we speak. On the night of the 15th to the 16th January 1944. Is that a coincidence or what?
    They've rebuilt the cell number 115 as you might know outside the bunker, using original parts from the cell like the tiles and the window and even the door.
    The actual cell 105 is now in use as storage room for towls and so on. When I was in Vught it was till intact as a monument.

?

That's correct. The "Bunker Tragedy" did indeed take place exactly 70 years ago. The incident is addressed in post 12 of the thread linked earlier. The attachments below show images taken during a study visit last year.

The victims:

Mina Hartogs-Samson, 58 years old
    Lammerdina E.Holst, 56 years old
    Anna M.F. Gooszen, 55 years old
    Maartje Den Braber, 49 years old
    Johanna C.A. Van Den Hoek, 43 year old
    Huiberdina A. Witte-Verhagen, 42 years old
    Lena Bagmeijer-Krant, 40 years old
    Lamberta A.M. Buiteman-Huijsmans, 39 years old
    Antoinette A. Janssen, 39 years old
    Nellie A.J. De Bode, 38 years old
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HERZ-BUNK (6).jpg   HERZ-BUNK (3).jpg  

Experienced guide and published author leading detailed study trips to the former KZ sites of Nazi Germany. Contact for further details.

www.concentrationcamptours.com

www.concentrationcampmoney.com

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wypeya oki hi sni"

Hi Carl , it is very interesting to see the Westerbork currency , I have read this thread in the past and not passed comment but I really do think personally that the "stylistic" design of these pieces is quite stunning! Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

?

Today, the 12th April 2014, marks the 69th anniversary of the liberation of Westerbork. Canadian forces reached the camp 69 years ago and freed almost 900 people.
    Experienced guide and published author leading detailed study trips to the former KZ sites of Nazi Germany. Contact for further details.

?

Interesting, as usual.

?

Yesterday marked the 71st anniversary of the liberation of the camp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WEST-MON-A.jpg   WEST-MON-B.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12