Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Westerbork camp notes

Article about: Some recent additions to my collection, below are two examples of the camp scrip that was in circulation at KZ Westerbork. The camp was erected initially by the Dutch authorities during 1938

?

Default Westerbork camp notes

Some recent additions to my collection, below are two examples of the camp scrip that was in circulation at KZ Westerbork.

The camp was erected initially by the Dutch authorities during 1938, as a measure to deal with the large number of Jews seeking refuge in Holland following Kristallnacht. Later, during May 1940, following the swift advance of the Wehrmacht, the site was designated as a convenient location for the occupiers to establish a concentration camp. Barbed wire was added to the fences as the only significant initial alteration. Primarily used as a Durchgangslager, or transit camp, for Dutch Jews, the site held prisoners who would later be sent to their deaths, or to be exploited as slave labourers at one of the forced labour facilities within the Reich.

In the early part of the camp's existence, the Germans allowed a certain level of Jewish influence to run the camp, as indeed they did at other locations such as Theresienstadt, but during the summer of 1942, the camp fell under SS control. More than 100,000 Jews passed through Westerbork on the way to their deaths in the facilities located in "the East". Indeed, the Nazis themselves refered to Westerbork as "Jerusalem", due to the fact that all roads led through the camp.

Westerbork had many similarities to the ghettos of the period, with its own theatre (created by Kommandant Albert Konrad Gemmeker), orchestra, large hospital, schools and even permission to celebrate Jewish holidays, but the end result for many was indeed execution.

Of note is the use of the word Gutschein, meaning credit coupon, printed on the notes. This was done to appease Adolf Hitler, as he forbid Jews to handle money, so refering to the scrip as coupons made it easier for the SS staff to attempt to encourage a better level of work from the Westerbork prisoners, who were not known for their productivity. Earlier receipts were circulated in the camp before these 1944 issued scrip were introduced. The notes were designed by Werner Lowenhardt, a was a graphic designer prior to the war. Lowenhardt's design was initially intended for use as the logo for the camp's industrial department, but was chose to adorn the 10, 20, 50 and 100 cent denominations. The large chimney that is present on the notes was intended to give the illusion of productivity, when in actuality, it was the camp's large laundry chimney. The street shown in the artwork was refered to by the prisoners as the "Boulevard of Misery", as this was the way that they went during the deportations. Kommandant Gemmeker's own motto "Jewish labour is essential for Germany's victory" was expressed in the large, toothed wheel that is centralised on the obverse of the notes. Survivors who used these premium coupons remembered that the wheel on the notes was refered to as "Life's Last Turn". As with other camp scrip, it was used by the prisoners in places such as the canteen. Some of the notes display traces of the manufacturer's watermark, "Vuga".

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Westerbork camp notes   Westerbork camp notes  

Westerbork camp notes   Westerbork camp notes  

Westerbork camp notes   Westerbork camp notes  

Default Re: Westerbork camp notes

Carl: You have written a verery interesting and informative description of the camp's background and purpose. What was the industry that the Germans had going there? Dwight

?

Thank you Dwight. I remember reading that a metal work shop was on site, that actually utilised downed allied aircraft. Various other duties were undertaken that were among the more typical KZ jobs delegated too, such as farming, railroad building etc.

Regards,

Carl
    Last edited by CARL; 11-21-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Carl: Given the scope and detail of your knowledge, have you considered writing a book about the camps with the same perspective and style you have used here? I can tell you from first hand experience that it's rewarding--not financially--but in the sense of having reached a receptive audience. And of course there's the ego stoke that accompanies having someone actually pay to read what you have written. The beauty of the ego stroke is that it, together with $4, will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks or Pete's. Nevertheless, I genuinely believe you should consider writing on this subject for publication. Dwight

?

Dwight, I appreciate your kind words. For the best part of a decade, I have been asked the same question by a number of people, and for the last several years, I have been doing a lot of preliminary studies, with a view toward that goal. My notes are everywhere, as are thoughts, ideas and materials. Eventually, it will come together when the time permits and the stars are aligned. You, as others before, have indeed helped to inspire me and for that I thank you.

Regards,

Carl
    Last edited by CARL; 01-15-2014 at 05:15 PM.

I live near Westerbork and i can tell you that it is quite impressive to see what's still left of this camp. The piece of railroad on which thousands of jews were deported to Auschwitz and other major camps gives you goosebumbs. The camp had it's own little factory's as Tiger has mentioned in his post. There is a lot of info about this camp on the internet. Anne Frank was one of the last jews that went on a transport from this camp.
    Maybe this link is of any interest to you, in English of course: Camp Westerbork - Kamparchieven

?

Thanks for the link klokhoane, it looks interesting. I have heard that the authorities have done a great job in reconstructing much of what was destroyed during the 1970's, and look forward to finding out more about the site.

Regards,

Carl

?

Images of a complete set, obverse and reverse.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Westerbork camp notes   Westerbork camp notes  

Westerbork stayed a camp long after the war ended; from 1945 - 1948 it was a camp for Dutch collaborators and German soldiers, of whom a number got shot by there guards. After 1948 in was in use as a Dutch army barrack, housing Dutch soldiers coming back from the Dutsch Indies.
    From 1950 'till 1951 it housed Dutch Indonesians refugees, and the name was change from 'Westerbork' to ‘De Schattenberg’.
    When the Dutch refugees left (1951) the South Moluccans came, mostly soldiers of the KNIL and their family's. They stayed untill the early 70's in the camp. After they left the Dutch government didn't know what to do with the old camp; a radio base was considerded, but rejected. The Dutch army did do some training on the grounds up untill the early 80's. Some barracks ended up being sold, and can still be found scattered arround.
    Now there is a education centre and a permanent exhibition about the holocaust in whats left of the former camp. I heard the goverment is now trying to buy back pieces of the barracks that got sold by the council 40 years ago.

?

Yes, very similar to its Dutch counterpart at Vught, near 's-Hertogenbosch. The largest of all camps on Dutch territory, KZ-Herzogenbusch, was also used as a post war internment camp for Germans and collaborators, also had - and indeed still has, a large military presence on its former grounds, in addition to a high security detention facility, and was also home to many South Moluccans. See the link below where the site is addressed.

KL-Herzogenbusch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast