Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Why, oh God, Why

Article about: Hi 4thskorpion, Joanna is directly related to Halina Gorcewicz. It was her Grandmother. Im hoping to head over to see her this weekend and i will see what pictures i can get and anymore info

Why, oh God, Why

The photo above captures the scene of a female refugee returning to Warsaw 1945—a city reduced to graves and rubble. This woman could easily have been Halina Gorcewicz arriving back in Warsaw.

Halina Gorcewicz’s escape from captivity, her trek and arrival back in Warsaw was not the end of her terrible ordeal. This time it was not the Germans but the “liberators” of the Red Army that were to be feared. She writes:

“...Terrible things were happening in the period immediately following my return to Warsaw. Large numbers of Warsaw people were settling in among the ruins wherever and however they could. Russian soldiers were prowling round the houses and knocking on doors, garlanded with sausage rings, with bottles of vodka in their pockets, looking for "dziewoczki" (girls). They were often persistent, blocking partly-opened doors with a foot, forcing their way in like wild animals and raping women. In this manner two of my former friends, the Zdunczyk girls, were murdered in front of their parents, who were terribly beaten up because when they answered the door they maintained that there were no girls in the house."

Why, oh God, Why

Above: Varsovians settling in the ruins of the city, 1945.

Why, oh God, Why

Above: Warsaw occupied by the Red Army after liberation 17 January 1945.

Halina again:

"....Rape, robbery, attacks and great lawlessness reigned. God forbid if the Russians learnt that someone had taken part in the Uprising. They were judged by a kangaroo court and executed on the spot. Later there were arrests and transportation to "the white bears" - or Siberia - where they were finished off. Many people of my acquaintance were killed in this way. They included the former tenants of the house in which we lived, a couple called Borkowski. They never found their son, but he had taken part in the Uprising. A week after my return they were dragged out from their apartment and shot in the yard. I was horrified."

Why, oh God, Why

Above: Red Army soldiers in Warsaw 1945.
    Last edited by StefanM; 11-26-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by tailor marc View Post
    Hi 4thskorpion, Joanna is directly related to Halina Gorcewicz. It was her Grandmother.
    Im hoping to head over to see her this weekend and i will see what pictures i can get and anymore info . Maybe a copy of the book aswell
    Hi Marc,

Did you have an opportunity to reconnect with Joanna over the weekend?

Excitedly looking forward to learning more about this postscript to Halina's story and life.

Quote by greimers View Post
    There are aspects of this thread that have serious credibility issues, I'll say no more.
    Well this info is coming from what i remember while talking to Jo so my accounts may be a little off. As stated before if its the diary reference , it maybe the translation from Polish to english. I can confirm that jo has got the polish version and really wants it published perfectly as was Helinas wish. Looking for a publisher but we dont have the funds to get it up and running as of yet. I just spoke to Jo and found out some info. Jo isnt her biological grandmother. Helina loved her so much and took her in and they classed her as grandmother.. I also have a few pictures of the nedals etc that i will post tomoz as its now really late in west oz. pictures of a letter signed by spielbieg etc. blew my mind away!!!!!!

Quote by tailor marc View Post
    Well this info is coming from what i remember while talking to Jo so my accounts may be a little off. As stated before if its the diary reference , it maybe the translation from Polish to english. I can confirm that jo has got the polish version and really wants it published perfectly as was Helinas wish. Looking for a publisher but we dont have the funds to get it up and running as of yet. I just spoke to Jo and found out some info. Jo isnt her biological grandmother. Helina loved her so much and took her in and they classed her as grandmother. I also have a few pictures of the nedals etc that i will post tomoz as its now really late in west oz. pictures of a letter signed by spielbieg etc. blew my mind away!!!!!!
    Thanks Marc, that explains part of the query I raised about Halina not having further children other than her son Andrzej who was killed in a car crash along with her husband in 1948.

I am so hoping that Joanna will have Halina's original diary pages rather than just the Polish manuscript as I would dearly like to see the originals after all these years of being interested in her story. Look forward to seeing what other medals Halina was awarded along with the Grunwald order.

With regards the book manuscript one thing you should be aware of is that Halina passed all publishing rights over to Jerzy Kilinger when she was alive and he then decided to publish Why, O God Why in the public domain. This is documented by email/letter to the author who is currently publishing the book online in the link you first provided. You should also note it was freely downloaded & distributed around the world at the time so spending your money to publish it would just be wasting money as Joanna will not own the copyright if any exists for the reasons previously mentioned.

A couple of days ago I contacted (via email) the Polish association of Western Australia which Halina belonged to because some years ago they funded & published a book which featured poetry written by Halina (and other Polish emigre women) which I have not seen before. I am waiting to hear back from them

Ok here are a few images . I will take my good camera around this weekend to get better images of te medals, front and back of each...

A freinds grandmothers documents and medals from WW2 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

A freinds grandmothers documents and medals from WW2 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

- - ------- - -

Letter from our Premier of Western Australia...

I think these must of been Halinas partners medals? i will have to ask her..

Now for Halinas........ Looks like Australia gave her a gold coin aswell...

anyone know what medals they are?

Thanks Marc, for posting the additional photos

I am very pleased to learn that Halina obviously found a new partner in Karl Milczarek to bring happiness into her life again having been through so much physical and emotional hardship in her earlier life. Karl Milczarek founded the Perth branch of AK-SPK in 1983 with 20 members and he was its president until 1989.

The SHOAH Foundation letter signed by Spielberg is thanking Halina for her video interview which is available to researchers at UCLA in the US.

The manuscript is the exact same as the copy I have in my files and was made available online by Halina's translator Jerzy Klinger.

Karl Milczarek medal box:-

Why, oh God, Why

1. Pro Memoria ( I was also awarded this medal in 2011 )

Can you please photograph the medal group in the plastic wallet in the top of the box frame, and those sitting on the KW medal ribbon on the left of the frame?

Why, oh God, Why

Halina Gorcewicz-Milczarek medal box:-

Krzyż Zasługi (The Cross of Merit)
    Krzyż Armii Krajowej (Home Army Cross)
    Warszawski Krzyż Powstańczy (The Warsaw Uprising Cross 1944)
    Krzyż Oświęcimski (Auschwitz Cross- awarded to former concentration camp prisoners).
    Medal Za Warszawe 1939-1945 (Medal for Warsaw 1939-1945)
    AK "Akcji Burza" Odznaka (Commemorative badge for AK "Action Tempest")
    7. Polish hat eagle featuring the Kotwica or “Anchor” symbol which was the emblem of the Polish Secret State and Armia Krajowa. The letters PW originally referred to the slogan "Pomścimy Wawer" or "We shall avenge Wawer" and also the phrase "Polska Walcząca" or “Fighting Poland".

A close up of the group of badges I highlighted in the white square would be useful to see, if possible?

The group of medals and SPK badges are exactly as one would expect given Halina's experiences in WWII although it does not appear that the Grunwald Cross 2nd Class is in the box frame. I would purchase one to complete the group, they can still be sourced.

I also cannot see the commemorative badge from AK group "Krybar" (see below) with whom Halina fought during the Rising 1944. Again these can be found as they were all produced post-war.

Why, oh God, Why

Hope some of the above is of interest
    Last edited by StefanM; 11-27-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast