Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need help

Article about: Hi guys, I would like to ask you to help me identify if this dagger is original piece or not. It is I think correctly marked by Eickhorn company, scabbard is missing the gold color and the s

?

Default Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need help

Hi guys,
    I would like to ask you to help me identify if this dagger is original piece or not. It is I think correctly marked by Eickhorn company, scabbard is missing the gold color and the same is for crossguard. But the pommel is in perfect condition. I do not know how it was storaged but is the pommel Eickhorn type? I do not want dagger where the parts will be mixed. And is the price of 600,-US correct in this condition?
    Any opinion is welcome. Thank you, Mike

Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need helpKriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 2nd model Eickhorn etched dagger - Need help
    P
    Many

?

The pommel is definitely not an eickhorn and does not resemble any other makers pommel so I would think it is a complete fake, there is a screw missing from the scabbard and the other screw does not appear to be the original one. The rest of the dagger looks like its original but is in poor condition. Eickhorn navys are the most common ones so I would wait for a better and completely correct one.

?

Hi Mike. some parts are Eickhorn but I agree that the pommel isn't. That's a very bad copy. One screw is missing and the one that is present isn't original. Gripwire could have been replaced as well. Almost all the gilding is gone and the blade has some isues too. Personally I would not pay $600.

Regards
    Danny

?

Here are a few Eickhorn navies you can compare yours with:
    Kriegsmarine dagger collection

Danny

?

Hi Tomaz and Danny,
    thank you for help, I have looked at the Dannys collection and it is really better to save money and to wait till the really good piece will appear.
    Mike

?

Good decision!
    Better wait for a nice piece!
    Its like woman....better wait for the right one the others can give you lots of troubles....

Ger

?

With the detail in that pommel, and work that appears to have gone into it, could this not be an early "replacement" component? A pommel that was manufactured for the 1935-37 Navy daggers, to switch them over to 3rd Reich specs?

I love this hobby and its never ending possibiities.........yet are there repros also with this type of pommel? A process of elimination would support JRs thoughts and there yet may be a possibility that the pommel is authentic.
    Im curious of the metal type and the heaviness of the pommel itself. A digital scale may be in order to weigh the differences. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Bombs away Gents.... Im ready for the backlash and the beating
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

My opinion about this pommel is that it is probably a post war reproduction not intended to fool anyone, this could be why it is quite well detailed. Ive never heard or read of an early 35-37 replacement pommel, the ball pommel was replaced in 38 with the eagle and swastika pommel for Hitlers birthday, the kriegsmarine were the last of the armed forces to adopt the swastica. The pommel on this thread as I said is well detailed but the pedestal at the bottom is much shorter and a different shape, it lacks the inwards curved shape ) ( where the portapee would sit in. Some replacement pommels were ground down at the base so the eagle would face the front but this one is still facing the wrong way. If it were a correct period pommel I doubt the pedestal would be designed this way. This is jmo though and new period things pop up all the time.