Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.

Article about: Hi Guys, this is my final KM dagger to show you all. Even though it is damaged I still love it becuase it was given to me by a late friend of mine, Sgt Mike Compton. Mike was a British Para

Default Re: Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.

Hi Guys, kids can certinly do a lot of damage! Thank goodness they never got at the blade.

Hi Nick, no I would not mess with it. Plus the eagle is rock solid in place. I am certain any attempt to unscrew it would result in it breaking apart.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.
    P
    Many

?

a shame , they are just going to disinegrate eventually , i wonder if their longevity could be lengthened with some kind of treatment without compromising them ( i.e. them being in their original condition )

cheers al

Hi Al, the basic poblem with the metal is at a molecular level and nothing can be done

Cheers, Ade.

?

Even tho damaged they are two nice daggers and i personally wouldnt change any bits as then its not that piece that came from where it did if you get my jist rgds Dave

?

Ive never seen this type of damage to a naval dagger before and ive never known solid brass to crack like this .My naval dagger has a slight pitting of the blade which ive been told sometimes happened due to a prolonged time at sea whereby the salt air could affect the steel.My dagger was given to an uncle of mine by a german naval officer on board the Prinz Eugen after its surrender and it was sailed back to a german harbour with a compliment of royal marines on board.The officer was not happy that the americans would be coming aboard as he had heard that they would literally ransack the ship so he decided to give it to a naval man.He also gave my uncle the hanging straps the naval belt , a luger,a thick white jumper with a large german eagle stitched on the front a small signal pendant marked with the ships name two cap tallies a naval fleet badge and two rifle cleaning kits.I now have only trhe dagger and portepee the cleaning kits and the pennant.The most iteresting thing about this is that my dads cousin was killed on HMS Hood and the Prinz Eugen was present at the time so i have more than apiece of history i have part of ny family history involved as well

Hi Dave, thanks for the comments and the story. I would love to see your dagger etc.

The dagger is not made from brass, this one is a later example made from zink.

Cheers, Ade.

Hal
    ?

Hi Ade, antique train; phonograph collectors, also share your frustration. Hal PS; Typical zinc- copper/aluminum alloy also used in these early 20th century examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.   Another Kriegsmarine dagger. Unloved but now loved again.  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2