Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine fantasy dagger with artifical damascus blade

Article about: Hi, New to the forum. Figured this was a good place to get some answers. Part of my collection is this (what appears to be) Kriegsmarine dagger. From what I have founf, some people tote it a

Default Kriegsmarine fantasy dagger with artifical damascus blade

Hi, New to the forum. Figured this was a good place to get some answers. Part of my collection is this (what appears to be) Kriegsmarine dagger. From what I have founf, some people tote it as WW2, others as WW1. Any ideas? Maker is Hubertus Solingen.
    As for the sheath, I think this was my grandfather's attempt at protecting the blade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine fantasy dagger with artifical damascus blade   Kriegsmarine fantasy dagger with artifical damascus blade  

Kriegsmarine fantasy dagger with artifical damascus blade   Kriegsmarine fantasy dagger with artifical damascus blade  

Kriegsmarine fantasy dagger with artifical damascus blade   Kriegsmarine fantasy dagger with artifical damascus blade  

Kriegsmarine fantasy dagger with artifical damascus blade  
    Last edited by Larry C; 09-23-2014 at 11:47 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine fantasy dagger with artifical damascus blade
    P
    Many

Default Re: Dagger identification

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It is an interesting item but certainly not an issue KM dagger. I would suggest the whole thing is "home made". The crossguard and pommel have been quite crudley cast from KM fittings. Yet the blade is Damascus steel ( or fake acid etched Damascus) and looks fairly well made. The maker of the blade, Hubertus, was not a wartime KM dagger maker. The blade is also much shorter in length than normal.

Thanks for showing it.

Cheers, Ade.

dk598
    ?

I have to agree with Adrian. German manufacturing produced much higher quality items than this cast item. It's still an interesting piece, but the details are just not there that one would like to see for German militaria.

That is what gets me. I have seen 1 or 2 of these before, being toted as german WW1. It is not alone in the world. I simply don't have the reference manuals to see if it is listed anywhere.

It is imposible for it to be WW1. The design of the pommel did not come about until 1938.

Cheers, Ade.

fair enough. Going to have to ask grandpa where he aquired it when he was overseas.

ps, here is an eg of one of it's sisters.
    WWI German Naval Dirk / Dagger 6" blade Hubertus maker - eBay (item 120482694282 end time Oct-26-09 13:54:52 PDT)

Thanks for showing the sister. There has to be a story behind these? Possibly made up in the 1950/60's etc as souvenirs?

I would be interested to know the timeline from your Grandad.

Cheers, Ade.

Ok, aparently he bought it from a guy while posted at "two fighter wing base Groftenquin" in France in the early 60's. Doesn't remember much more than that. Of course He also just told me he had 2 real SS daggers that he sold before I was born, which is making me want to cry...

I am going to assume the dagger is a post war item due to the lack of the swas..

Thanks for the info. The 1960's date fits with what I suspected.

I know how you feel re the daggers. My Grandad brought home a Luger from WW1 and he handed it in for destruction in the '60's.

Cheers, Ade.

HA! I work where confiscated weapons go... There is one there of EVERYTHING as part of the "historical collection". The only way they leave there is in a melted down and recycle-bound format..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast