MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.

Article about: Hello guys. I am more than happy today to show you my new addition, a German M1848 navy dagger with a full suspension “Knobel” or “Riegelgehänge”. It’s a first time in my life as I see this

?

Default The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.

Hello guys.
    I am more than happy today to show you my new addition, a German M1848 navy dagger with a full suspension “Knobel” or “Riegelgehänge”. It’s a first time in my life as I see this suspension completely. In Thomas Wittmann blue book, S.4, you can see this suspension with an Amazone dagger, but only the straps with an “S” clip. The grip is of ivory. The central block of the crossguard, the pommel and the scabbard are hand chased. This dagger ist maybe a third one of all known M1848 daggers with an etched blade.
    The picture of the two daggers show you the M1848 dagger together with an Amazone dagger from my collection. I hope that you will like the dagger.
    Thank you.
    Best,
    Oleg.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.   The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.  

The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.   The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.  

The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.   The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.
    P
    Many

?

And the suspension.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.   The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.  

The Grandfathers of the German Navy Daggers.  

?

Hi Oleg,
    A wonderful, unique dagger and together with a hanger - yes, You are a lucky man. Actually, this is the only model that is missing in my collection.
    Thanks for showing.

Regards
    Jakub

?

Wonderful pieces Oleg! Extremely rare indeed. Thanks for sharing these magnificent pieces with us.

@Jakub: if this is the only model you are missing, you must have an amazing collection! I hope you will show some of your top pieces in this forum.

Regards
    Danny

Very interesting to see these ancestor daggers of the commonly known 20th century models and the origin of the various styling features.

Im Breathless with the hanger !

The original cord with the snap clips...has to be worth more than the dagger.
    I would say the hanger system is more rare than the dagger. Just my opinion .

I really fantastic piece of history Oleg

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Oleg,
    Beautiful daggers and very interesting, if anyone deserves to own them it's you I envy you! Thanks for showing them.
    Regards, Andy

?

The first dagger of the German Navy is actually the dagger of the sailing corvette "Amazone" from circa 1844. The Corvette was the first training ship of the navigation school of the Prussian Navy.

?

Thanks for sharing Oleg!
    Great to see these super rare dirks!
    This explains why they used the flaming ball pommel during the Weimar period!
    They just took the original old design that was in use before the imperial pommel.

Regards
    Ger

?

I just love these early daggers and I hope that this thread will develop even more.
    I would like to show you mine M1844 cadets dagger. There are not many of them left and everyone is a bit different.
    A few quick photos, sorry for not the best quality.

Regards
    Jakub

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast