Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked with mint portepee

Article about: Hi guys, just put my new (hope its not) portepee on one of my kriegs daggers and was a bit surprised to see how new looking it was, im wondering how something that is 70 years old can be so

Default Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked with mint portepee

Hi guys, just put my new (hope its not) portepee on one of my kriegs daggers and was a bit surprised to see how new looking it was, im wondering how something that is 70 years old can be so shiny and in such good condition, I bought it off a very reputable dealer and it states that it is pre 1945 manufactured, I do like it on the dagger but hope the shine will dull down, where do these new looking portepees come from ?. I was also wondering if all daggers originally came with a portepee, did the officer have to have one on his dagger ? Could he pick what kind, silver or gold colour for kriegs, he wanted ? Were portapees earned or could any officer wear one on his dagger ? And finally what do you think about adding portepees to your daggers as you are adding a part that was not an original part of that dagger, I have noticed new looking clean portepees on some of the big collections and most dealers sell them so this seems to be an accepted part to add to a dagger, what do you guys think. Look forward to seeing some of your answers and opinions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked with mint portepee   Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked with mint portepee  

Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked with mint portepee   Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked with mint portepee  

Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked with mint portepee   Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked with mint portepee  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked with mint portepee
    P
    Many

?

I do know that I have bought a couple post war portapees from Tom Johnson in my years for display viewing. I know as well that he had some from the 1960's that were made. I have attached one of two post war portapees I own for your reference. This one I bought from Tom and he told me it was a 1960's post war. I bought for my 1st model luft. You can see the sheen you discuss in the metallic sliver in the weaved cord at base of knot. Nice Kriegs Rig by the way! Also...nice job of tying...You did well!

I also look inside the knots ANUS as they call it and look for the cord weave. I think yours is the real deal based on weaves and compared to mine but wait for other "knot heads" to weigh in as I am not 100% sure or an expert. My vote is a good one bud.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked with mint portepee  
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

I see what you're saying about the knot being shiny but I like it's overall look & construction. My feeling is the knot is pre-1945. I especially like the green dot in the cat's anus. In a conversation with Tom Wittmann years ago, he told me the occasionally seen green dot had a KM connotation.

Thanks guys for your replies, im hoping the silver in the thread will dull to add a bit of age to it, I got this portepee off lakesidetrader. Nice 1st luft Rossi that's one I still have to add to my collection. Does anyone have any opinions on the other ?s I asked.

I often wondered about this myself, most aluminum cap wreaths and chin cords maintain a nice shine over the years so I will just chalk it up to storage of the item. It works for now, maybe down the road you can snag a nice golden one here are some of mine,
    I love that hand hammered scabbard btw so much nicer then the lightning bolt pattern IMO

?

I have never bought from Paul but have asked his opinion at times. He is trustworthy and knows his stuff. I believe there is a good book on Portapees that will tell a lot but I don't know name. There is a member on here I met Billy G who I think has good KNOT KNOWLEDGE who replied above. Your good!!! I know different anus inner weaving area can signify different divisions, etc... Wish I knew more for you.

Quote by little big man View Post
    Thanks guys for your replies, im hoping the silver in the thread will dull to add a bit of age to it, I got this portepee off lakesidetrader. Nice 1st luft Rossi that's one I still have to add to my collection. Does anyone have any opinions on the other ?s I asked.
    Last edited by Rossi; 11-23-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

The portepee is original. No doubt about that. I have some navies in my collection with an aluminum knot and they barely dull over the years. I think yours looks just fine. I would love to see some pictures of the blade. Nice hammered scabbard!

Danny

I like it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks guys I like the portepee a lot more now, does anyone know if this dagger and every other dagger would have originally had a portepee or were they optional for the officer. Thanks again for all your replies.

dr73 the blade is a plain unmarked one so nothing much to show, thanks for verifying the portepee to be original, much appreciated.