Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepee

Article about: Hi Everyone, New to the forum, and hoping to share some of my grandfather's war documents and memories recorded in his diary, which I'm currently sorting out at the moment (he was in 32nd Ro

Royley
    ?

Default Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepee

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, and hoping to share some of my grandfather's war documents and memories recorded in his diary, which I'm currently sorting out at the moment (he was in 32nd Royal Marine batallion during the war). However, as a start point I'm after some help with a Kriegsmarine dagger that I inherited from him. It hung on the wall of his house throughout the remainder of his lifetime, and then on the wall of mine until I downsized to a smaller place six months ago. I feel somewhat guilty that it's now languishing in a drawer, as I can't display it any more, and am considering selling so that it can continue to be owned and displayed by someone who appreciates it. My problem lies in understanding exactly what I've got in terms of rarity, and value so that I can make a properly informed decision on its future. I have researched it on the internet, but the results have left me completely confused - I've seen prices from $1800+ down to £250/300 in different places - possibly not helped by the fact that values for these daggers seem to be higher in some countries than others.

Appreciate I'm fishing for a free rough valuation. I'm not averse to paying a fee to have it valued by an expert if it's likely to be rarer / more valuable than I originally thought, but I'd like to get a handle on the ball park I'm looking at first so I can decide how best to proceed.

Some photos below. It's in good condition and has the original hangars and under the tunic belt. The dagger slides smoothly in and out of the scabbard, and the 'push button' locking mechanism for keeping it in the scabbard in in full working order. It was acquired by my grandfather at the end of the war when his unit were at Kiel naval base involved in bringing surrendered german vessels into the harbour.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Always loved the dagger, and I want to have enough information to be able to make a proper decision as to its long tem future, rather than leaping into an uninformed decision that I later regret.

Graham

Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepeeKriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepee

2. # ADS

?

Default re: Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepee

Welcome to the forum Graham and thank you for posting your dagger.

It ticks all the boxes and has the hangers and belt too. Everything looks in great condition and it has the more sought after sailing ship engraving.

I will leave it to more experienced dagger collectors to comment further and perhaps venture a valuation.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default re: Kriegsmarine 2nd model Höller etched dagger with belt hanger and portepee

Looks fabulous. Its textbook,IMO. what I find impressive is its aging and its full rig,with some very cool provenance.nice in that no ones messed with it either. condition and originallity, is a huge plus in value. it would be a great upgrade for someone.

I never understood the market on these....They are some of the most gorgeous third reich daggers ever made, but never got the value you would think they should.

I would not waste your time having some one else appraise it. some of the best in the world hang out here. sure looks great to me. it well deserves that higher number or more,IMO.

Thanks for sharing it! I would post some more pics. I would like to see some more!

?

As stated above a nice complete rig - I would suggest checking out Militaria vendor sites as to value but I would say this would range in the $1700 to $2000 range, based on overall condition etc.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

I agree with Horst on the price, the fouled anchor design version is going for around 1000, and thats without the hangers, it is really nice , the hangers are very hard to find and knowing they are original to the dagger is a bonus, I love how they tie the portapees on these, I am going to add one to my collection soon.

An Easy $2000 with the hangers, portapee and sailing ship etch. A nice rig! Welcome to the Forum!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Condition , rarity.. a full rig set..and to top it off a not so common ship etch, compared to the Fowled anchor,, as stated above. Very rare to see the under the tunic Blue wool belt. Nice set,, thanks for posting and sharing these photos. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Now that's a beautiful dagger. If I could own just one dagger this would be it. The whole rig just makes it superb. Congrats