Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Naval dagger question

Article about: Hello Sirs, I was recently offered to buy three daggers from the daughter of the vet who brought them home to the US following his service in the ETO during WW2. The daggers were one each fr

?

If you have seen them you should be able to provide details on condition, maker, etched blades, any personalization. By the photo it looks like $1200-1400 would be a more realistic price for the three. This is if there are't any condition issues.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Modern day repros are also Solingen marked. The logo is one of many pieces that will authenticate an edged weapon...but it is possible also to have a mix of repro and real parts

I refuse to send you on your way..and say yes go for it! Thats not our style here..if you are patient enough..you will see the truth. It will be a huge loss out of your pocket if you want to base authenticity on a Solingen stamp.....but equally a loss of our integrity giving you bad information...regardless it is still your choice.....Blind dates are 50/ 50 also..Id rather go to the drug store and spend the few extra dollars to be safe than sorry.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

To answer your question-yes, there were KM's made with no markings on the blade. There are, of course, fakes made of just about any German dagger you can think of, so naturally detailed photos are needed. If the seller cannot or will not provide them-as should be a natural and reasonable request from Any buyer, then I would have to say pass on the lot.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

If real and in good condition with common makers the heer and luft would fetch about 450-600 each, the kreigs dagger may be a bit more around 650-700, dealers sell them for even more. BUT condition is the key to pricing, even a hairline crack or chip in a grip can drop the price by 100 bucks, IF they are real about1500 for all 3 is fair IMO, shame we cant see close ups to help us and help you, just remember not all little old ladies are honest lol.

Again, that you for your adivice and information. My offer to her was $1,200 and she dropped from $2,400 to $2K but that was as low as she would go. At 75, she recalls these daggers being brought home by her father..so she says. I was not looking for anyone to put their reputation on the line by advising me to buy or not but rather simply asking if it's common for a dagger to not be marked by the manufacturer because I could not find any markings on the Naval dagger. Maybe I'll ask to see them again, take some good pictures, and reapproach you kind folks with the pictures.

Again, I appreciate very much the information that you gents provided with very little provided by me.

Rob

Are all of the items in the photo included in the lot price or just the 3 daggers?
    William

?

It is my understanding that daggers that were sold at the PX/army store weren't marked and from regular stores were.

Quote by JoeFriday View Post
    Again, that you for your adivice and information. My offer to her was $1,200 and she dropped from $2,400 to $2K but that was as low as she would go. At 75, she recalls these daggers being brought home by her father..so she says.

Rob
    We have heard this also..which also can swing 50/50... Im just trying to keep things real here. Never for a moment believe anyone unless you know what you are looking at. Just because she is a 75 yrs old and sure she is a nice woman...but...you are the deciding factor and the amount of knowledge you arm yourself with. Lets also not forget..alot of junk was just starting to come out in the 1950s..and all the way up to modern day...IMO this grips look more recent than post repro...Just my opinion......I dont like casting doubt on this stuff..but in these days of technology..nothing is believable anymore.
    Old German Guys in wheel chairs has been used also...and im sure your elder source is legitimate in her age..no doubt..but its your wallet she is after and not your heart....Have you asked her ..how she came upon these prices that she is willing to drop down to $1200 from $2400 ?...has someone advised her or did she research these daggers herself while in the kitchen on her lap top?

The truth can be hardcore sometimes but also awakening if you let it. We are just trying to help you with no disrespect at all to you or the elder woman. We are glad yu brought it here..but the photos as small as they are ....are "NOT" enough to give a Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Are all of the items in the photo included in the lot price or just the 3 daggers?
    Only the three daggers.

Mr. Larry, I agree with everything you are saying. I've been collecting militaria for quite some time but not German militaria. I know to buy the item and not the story and so forth. I don't know how she came about the asking price but she states that a local pawn shop offered $200 each. I offered $1,200 thinking that was very fair but her bottom line was $2,000 down from $2,400. I sent her an email asking to view the daggers again so that I can take some decent photos and I'll post them if I can work it out.

I'm not losing any sleep over these daggers and I'm not in a hurry to buy them.

Thank you all again for your time and information.
    V/r
    Rob

" I sent her an email asking to view the daggers again so that I can take some decent photos and I'll post them if I can work it out."

That would be great, Rob! Thanks! You've got us curious!
    William

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast