Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg

Article about: Hi all. This is my first post so please excuse any mistakes. This dagger was acquired at the surrender at Flensburg but apart from that I know nothing about it and would appreciate any help

?

Default Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg

Hi all. This is my first post so please excuse any mistakes.

This dagger was acquired at the surrender at Flensburg but apart from that I know nothing about it and would appreciate any help to identify what, exactly it is and whether it is worth getting it restored.

Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg   Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg  

Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg   Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg  

Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg   Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg
    P
    Many

Default re: Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg

It's a German Navy(Kriegsmarine) dagger with it's portapee(tied on knot) and it's sheath is a privately purchased upgrade sheath-which is nice to see. What do you mean "restore"? What would you want to do to it?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Default re: Kriegsmarine 2nd model unmarked dagger take away from surrender at Flensburg

It belongs to my Pa and he is thinking of having it re-gilded. I'm not sure that he should ...

Hi Erica, and welcome to the forum!

I would share William's concern re your intentions however well meant. Don't do anything to this dagger. You will kill the value.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thank you, Ade, I share your thoughts. I am hoping that I will learn much more about the dagger from you all, as there is so much knowledge abounding on this forum.

?

I agree with William and Ade , please do not do anything to it !! it,s fabulous
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Beautiful. This is probably my favorite of the daggers.

Agree wth all above comments a very nice and original dagger, minus the grip wire
    cheers Ronnie

I've actually seen these daggers with the grip wire period removed. These wires could and did tend to become looser over time and annoyed the owners who simply removed it to get rid of a nuisance. This one here looks like it hasn't had it's wire on it for some good long time, as there is no sign of discoloration in the grooves-it may well have been removed before the portapee was tied on. Would it be possible to get any photos of the makers mark on the dagger blade-as well as any etching decorations on the blade itself?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I agree with the above, please don't take any steps to restore it and re-gild it. It will never look right and as mentioned, the value will be wiped.

You have a piece of history right there, don't make it modern.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast