Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

KM Two Piece Pebbled Field.

Article about: To quote Peter Nash in his book, "After production of the one piece die struck aluminium buckles ceased in 1939, the Kriegsmarine utilised a gilt two piece buckle of the same design as

Default KM Two Piece Pebbled Field.

To quote Peter Nash in his book,

"After production of the one piece die struck aluminium buckles ceased in 1939, the Kriegsmarine utilised a gilt two piece buckle of the same design as the army complete with pebbled field. These buckles were poorly gilded and many have lost up to 90% of their gilding on both sides, even where no wear is apparent. In 1940 steel buckles were issued to the Kriegsmarine and production of their one piece aluminium buckles was halted. However, the two piece aluminium gilded Heer buckle may have been issued as a dress item after this date."

So, anybody seen or own one? I got this yesterday from a veteran's family. Brought home by a member of the US 103rd Infantry Division when he picked it up in Brest, France. I acquired the buckle from the veterans son in law.

I know Ben doesn't like it, but well, it was never sold as a KM, I paid a fair price and I'm not interested in moving it on. I trust the veteran's son in law, I'm happy it's never been out of the family. I've shown it to Peter Nash and he likes it. I'm not saying that all authors are 100% on all buckles, but combined with where it came from, holding it in hand, and Peter Nash's opinion on it, I'm happy to have it. Peter only thought there was one other in a collection.

Note on mine, the Overhoff maker mark, the typical Overhoff prongs, the wear pattern under the prong bar and the cross shaped wear where the belt hook meets the buckle catch. The wear marks are showing silver through the light gold on the rear.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KM Two Piece Pebbled Field.   KM Two Piece Pebbled Field.  

KM Two Piece Pebbled Field.   KM Two Piece Pebbled Field.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KM Two Piece Pebbled Field.
    P
    Many

More pics...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KM Two Piece Pebbled Field.   KM Two Piece Pebbled Field.  

Found this online, looks same buckle although with more gilt on the rear...

1938 Kriegsmarine EM Buckle by OLC

Ha Ha ha Lenny, I was just about to start a thread on this beat me to it. Gents, a bit of back ground history, there has been long debate on these buckles, we had a good one on the WAF even before this forum was formed. It is the general opinion of most advanced buckle collectors that these were never produced. there is no documented history about them, they appear in no makers catalogues. So the question is did Overhoff produce some KM walking out buckles? I dont see why not I suppose in theory but again lack of evidence apart some buckles that are shown. There was a big debate on the WAF ref these and some other gold anodised buckles and it seems Overhoff did actually carry on the practice post war and there is a thread on it that i will have to find on the WAF, it is a very good read. Ric the WAF moderator also has one of these and knows the history behind it and it is indeed not war time but post war time applied. I am going to try and find the links for the WAF threads and maybe get Ric to comment also, I am away on a course at the moment and time is limited. Please voice any opinions but also please back up with facts pics info etc, should turn out to be a good thread.

- - ------- - -

See the side profile pic, that is paint flaking off
    Ben

?

If I came across it at a show I would pass on it. If you got it for the price of a Heer private purchase in the same condition then no big deal. The one at eStand looks painted.

Another interesting point that my good friend Guido pointed out on the WAF thread, KM parade uniforms were worn without a belt so why would there be a need for walking out buckles. For me not many people would know this.
    Ben

In regards to not wearing a buckle for parade use, Nash refers to the buckle as general issue in 1939, after issue of die struck Alum one piece. In 1940 when steels were issued, these two pieces MAY have been used for dress use.

There's still plenty of things we don't know about buckles. Just because we say things like RZM marks should never be on a Heer... then we find that a particular maker did. Or we say Hammerhead SS are fakes, then we find out they are real after all. Or we say the Germans would never make a buckle out of pewter, but we know they did... that's what makes this hobby so interesting. ;-)

KM didn't wear belts on parade?
    Attached Images Attached Images KM Two Piece Pebbled Field.  KM Two Piece Pebbled Field. 

Lenny they would have been the regular buckles, worn with pouches etc, the two piece were the walking out buckles and also remember both nash and Angolia books had errors.
    Ben

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast