Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz

Article about: I found these two crosses in a barn on my property when I bought my house several years ago and was wondering what the members of this forum thought of them. I know there are a lot of fakes

Default 2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz

I found these two crosses in a barn on my property when I bought my house several years ago and was wondering what the members of this forum thought of them. I know there are a lot of fakes out there so any input is greatly appreciated.

The first one is a bronze cross. After some reading on here I checked the ribbon ring and didnt see any markings.

2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz

The second cross is a silver one that has a box. Unfortunately the box has had the back panel come off which means the entire top is separated, maybe due to the little wire spring thing from the latch poking into it for years. Also, the arm of the cross with the pin attached to it is slightly bent.

2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz
    Last edited by rbminis; 01-19-2018 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz
    P
    Many

The first is an original Kriegsverdienstkreuz KVK 2 Klasse mit Schwerter, War merit cross second class with swords, the other is a first class, although the S marking is not familiar to me, I thought they were Ldo marked, and not letter marked. The KvK experts will be along shortly.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    The first is an original Kriegsverdienstkreuz KVK 2 Klasse mit Schwerter, War merit cross second class with swords, the other is a first class, although the S marking is not familiar to me, I thought they were Ldo marked, and not letter marked. The KvK experts will be along shortly.
    The 1st class is a zinc type and the mark is the Pk number 3 for Wilhelm Deumer as opposed to the LDO number which would be L/11. From these pics it looks OK but straight on clear pics will tell more.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Both kvk are originals. Cased first class cross is original Deumer indeed.
    Best regards,
    Franko

Thank you everyone for the responses. Its interesting to learn about this stuff. Too bad I'll never know who brought/sent them home to America. Or where and under what circumstances they acquired them. Odds are they were simply left behind and picked up by a G.I. but you never know.

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Next time, please post them separately as per this thread.
    Uploading photos and posting multiple items.
    And, use the correct terminology as per this thread.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Two literal "barn finds"

Two nice pieces. The silver finish on the 1st class has been lost over time due to the award being zinc. This happens in the majority of cases due to the low quality of the zinc. But you can still sit it on the pin, catch and hinge.

Congrats!

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Watchdogs eyes are better than mine, seeing S where there's 3, well done. Nice finds.

Here is my KVK 1 mit Schwerten by Deumer marked 3 to compare.
    Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern, Wilhelm Deumer, "3"
    Ralph.

2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz
    2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz
    2x Kriegsverdienstkreuz
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)