Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern - Deschler (1)

Article about: About to pick up a KVK 1 in case, and I'm trying to figure out of this is just patina and dirt, or signs of a repaired catch. The seller says it's just patina and aging/dirt. Is he right? Th

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern - Deschler (1)

About to pick up a KVK 1 in case, and I'm trying to figure out of this is just patina and dirt, or signs of a repaired catch. The seller says it's just patina and aging/dirt. I "think" it's okay, but thought it would be better to make sure before plopping down the cash.

Thank you ahead of time!

The medal:

Last edited by rbminis; 03-13-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terrminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern - Deschler (1)
    P
    Many

Looks fine to me, just patina on the original soldering job to my eyes. Compares well with the hinge solder as well.

IMO all ok, my Deschler had solder remains just like yours.

Perfect!

Thank you gentlemen! I'll grab this one and take some photos when it comes in.

2 nice KVKs 1st klasse.

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern - Deschler (1)

Received my KVK 1st grade with swords today. Maker is Deschler, marked with a small "1", I believe in a tombak or buntmetal, in fairly minty condition. This one seems pretty text book for a KVK from the Deschler hoard based on examples I've compared it to, so I assume that's where this came from.

Notice the absence of push button apparatus on the front of the case:

Such a hard clasp to use, which is odd compared to some of the other earlier Deschler examples I came across that had a wider, shorter curve to them. You can see the scraping along the side of the pin from use, showing how much force it would take to push the pin over into position. I'm not going to attempt it with this one I think:

Notice the 621.KB which was very common to the Deschler hoard KVK's I saw. Not sure what this stands for.

One oddity on this examples is this somewhat sloppy work near the hilt of one of the swords. Must have been a little chilly in the factory that day, as this hand done detail was a bit shaky.

Lastly, if there is question regarding the clasp being repaired (I had this concern before purchasing this one myself), here are a couple of quick shots closer up on that. It seems like it's dirt/age/residue making it look potentially repaired.

Very nice piece Scott. The gunk around the catch is not a problem, it's flux residue from when the catch was originally fitted.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned, and thanks for advising on this one, and especially for the info on the Deschler hoard. I really enjoyed looking into that and seeing all the photos. What a find that was, and how exciting it must have been! I've learned a lot from your comments on peoples posts, and especially from your direct help, and I am grateful for both.

I figured the discoloration must be something like that, but you had the word I was looking for "flux".

A very nice addition Scott!
    Neither of my examples are cased.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph for the reply and your vigilant watch and guidance.

These awards are quite small, and it's never too late to find a cased one to compliment the two you already have. Just sayin....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast