Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern (31?)

Article about: Well, at least I think it is "31" stamped on the ring... I can't quite override the focus on the camera, but that's what it seems to be when viewed through the loupe. ANYWAY... It

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern (31?)

Well, at least I think it is "31" stamped on the ring... I can't quite override the focus on the camera, but that's what it seems to be when viewed through the loupe.

ANYWAY...

It isn't bad, but there is a small hairline in the solder at the rear of the joint of the small suspension ring and I suspect the ribbon is WWII-era mfg but not original to the medal. Sort of a "meh" example compared to most.

Regards,

G. Kelly
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern (31?)   Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern (31?)  

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern (31?)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern (31?)
    P
    Many

?

There's nothing to feel 'meh' about, a nice early war tombak piece, I can't make out the number either but a solid example with some patina to it. Nice addition to any collection.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Nice Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern...
    31 is the PKZ number from the manufacturer: Hans Gnad Wien.

Regards.,

Von River

I was surprised to see it was a tombak cross, as I had assumed it was zinc. The nice, clean (relatively speaking) ribbon looks a bit odd with it though.

The hairline crack I mentioned doesn't bother me too much, as it doesn't extend far at all and looks to be very old. I didn't even know it was there until I actually got a 12X loupe out to see what was stamped in the ring.

Von River, I just double-checked that ring with better lighting and it is indeed stamped "31," so if that is the number for Hans Gnad, then this cross is one of his.

Regards,

G. Kelly

?

A zinc cross wouldn't accumulate such patina, the finish would be worn exposing the grey base metal or show signs of being absorbed.

?

Nice kvk2. It still retains a bit of the silver wash, or frosting. Usually the finish doesn't stay too well on these tombacks.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    A zinc cross wouldn't accumulate such patina, the finish would be worn exposing the grey base metal or show signs of being absorbed.
    I'm not sure why I thought it was a zinc piece, but when I went to examine it, it was as you say: definitely a brass alloy, not a zinc one. This medal is a classic case of me not knowing what I had and being a bit flummoxed once I finally paid attention.

Regards,

G. Kelly

?

Quote by Dean View Post
    Nice kvk2. It still retains a bit of the silver wash, or frosting. Usually the finish doesn't stay too well on these tombacks.
    Dean, there is no silver wash or frosting left as these didn't have silver wash or frosting.............. and in fact, the tombak badges and awards keep their finish better than any other material used to make TR awards and decorations............

If you read through the forum a bit more you will see that the tombak awards shown here are always in much better order than their zinc counterparts because the finish bonds better to that material whereas with zinc, it doesn't and over time disappears.

Take a look below. The top two pieces are tombak and the bottom two are zinc. Note how well preserved the top two are in comparison to the zincers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern (31?)  

Very nice KVK indeed.