Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern

Article about: Fresh from the postie, my first Merit Cross with Swords! Hope it's ok so I'd appreciate your opinions, but also found what look like two marks on the ring and would hopefully like to know if

?

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern

Fresh from the postie, my first Merit Cross with Swords!
    Hope it's ok so I'd appreciate your opinions, but also found what look like two marks on the ring and would hopefully like to know if these are makers marks?
    You help/info would be very much appreciated
    Thanx
    Last edited by rbminis; 07-28-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern
    P
    Many

it's good but can't see he marks.

MAP
    ?

IMHO those are not lightly stamped maker marks. Just tooling I would think. Probably when putting the ring on the medal.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Appears legit, the 'fat' 1939 is distinctive and quite unlike my mintier KVKs but does bare some similarity to my unmarked (allegedly Stalingrad found) example...

Quote by MAP View Post
    IMHO those are not lightly stamped maker marks. Just tooling I would think. Probably when putting the ring on the medal.
    Agreed definitely not maker marks. Stewy

?

Thanks guys

MAP
    ?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Appears legit, the 'fat' 1939 is distinctive and quite unlike my mintier KVKs but does bare some similarity to my unmarked (allegedly Stalingrad found) example...

Always wondered about these relic items. I can see a relic wound badge, EK1, IAB, PAB, GAB and such. But why KvK's and EK2's which were not worn on the combat uniform? Just a question I've always had....

Unless they were in the personal possesion at the time, or in the barracks/camp and tossed while retreating.

Maybe I'm just thick and missing the obvious.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A good question. I can only assume that as not all personnel in the Kessel were combat troops that non combat-related awards could and should be expected to be found. Certainly I have a NSDAP party badge excavated, bought and posted from modern-day Volgograd as was my KVK award posted above.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    A good question. I can only assume that as not all personnel in the Kessel were combat troops that non combat-related awards could and should be expected to be found. Certainly I have a NSDAP party badge excavated, bought and posted from modern-day Volgograd as was my KVK award posted above.
    I could definately see civilians or party members throwing away non combatant items to "hide" their involvement. "Who me? A Party member? Sorry, got me confused with someone else..."

And even soldiers as well. We've all heard the stories of soldiers removing SS insignia, changing uniforms, throwing away helmets...etc.

Just a niggle in my brain and not really worthy of further consideration as there is clear evidence that it did happen. But I just find it odd. I would expect to find these items closer to a barracks or home and away from a front line combat zone..but the possibilities are endless.