Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Original KVK 1 screwback maker?

Article about: I must say you have a point there mate.

Default Re: Original KVK 1 screwback maker?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Was this once yours William?

Regards, Ned.
    Hey Ned, no it wasn't.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original KVK 1 screwback maker?
    P
    Many

The entire cross was silvered. The lift up details, such as the surface of the swastika, blades, oak wreath and edge of the cross, were polished. This gave them a high gloss. The “inside” of the cross was whitey and unpolished, which gave the cross an outstanding look.

I am so sorry, please bare with me. So if it's a silver finish, why has it become gray now? Painted? Polished? Sorry I haven't found another example which displays the same "gray" color this one does. Thanks for all the help here!

Hi

"I am so sorry, please bare with me. So if it's a silver finish, why has it become gray now? Painted? Polished? Sorry I haven't found another example which displays the same "gray" color this one does. Thanks for all the help here!"

Late war zinc badges absorbed the silver finish leaving the zinc base metal.

Thanks

Cameron

well judging from the irregular "blotching" around the perimeter of the reverse, at least to my eye from these photos, it is clear the badge has been painted. in fact, the pattern suggests it's been painted with a brush, not spray paint. the paint makes it to the edges of the reverse as the bristles of the brush work along the edges. scraping one of these areas should prove whether it has been or not. if paint comes off, it's been painted. if paint does not come off, it has not.

this pattern just does not look like finish absorption to me. the demarcation lines seem too sharp and jagged... too irregular. this is what paint unintentionally applied while painting the edges might look like.

Thank you all so much for your help. I returned it, will go back and check. I'm very curious now, will keep you all updated. Thanks again.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Thank you all so much for your help. I returned it, will go back and check. I'm very curious now, will keep you all updated. Thanks again.
    The easiest, and IMO best way to check if it HAS been painted, is to take a Q-tip dipped in nail polish remover and rub it over the suspected paint. If it comes off, then you'll know! The old acetone test....Bloody great mate!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Red face Re: Original KVK 1 screwback maker?

Thank you kindly Ned for that information, I will try that. I learn so much here and am very grateful, not to sound like a *** kisser

Still a relatively common badge, and at this price range you can put the money
    into a much better original example with no issues.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hello there,

Agree to disagree. In no way could you use a small paint brush to paint around traces of original silver wash. Silver wash, which original to the badge, is clearly on top of what you are referring to ask "paint" so proves the "paint" was applied prior to the finish of the badge.

I would imagine, it was an adhesion supplement to ensure the finish stuck to the crude zinc metal on the badge. Sometimes we see this one zinc awards; copper or other undercoating to help the finish stick correctly.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original KVK 1 screwback maker?   Original KVK 1 screwback maker?  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast