Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?

Article about: Hi, all. I saw these to KVKs recently from the same seller and thought one might be a fake/repro. The KVK with the issue packet looks very good to my novice eyes. The other KVK, however, has

Question Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?

Hi, all. I saw these to KVKs recently from the same seller and thought one might be a fake/repro. The KVK with the issue packet looks very good to my novice eyes. The other KVK, however, has me worried as the edges are a bit crude in places and on the 1939 side the swords look very odd and crude just above the guards. Also, I just have never seen one of these with swords on the ribbons. Any thoughts?

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?   Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?  

Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?   Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?  

Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?   Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?  

Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Two KVK2s: One Original, One Fake?

Second one looks like a good tombak early model while the first looks like a good zinc Medal.
    Tom

Both look good to me too

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

No problem with either medal Adam, both are original. The finish varies widely on these awards, do a search on KVKs - I posted a photo a month or two ago showing the differences in details and colours on these awards.

Here you go - click here - look at post #20.

Thanks for the replies, guys and for the link, Adrian...that was really helpful. I actually bought the first KVK in that thread from Loloc08 on estand recently...really nice tombak example I thought.
    I thought they both looked okay at first... I just got suspicious when I saw that area on the sword blade just to the bottom left from the 19 in 1939 (and on the other side but to a lesser extent) I thought it looked odd...kind of like a glue or residue or something? Is that part of the manufacture or finish?

Anyways, thanks again all!
    Best,
    Adam

?

From the photos it looks like the lacquer lifting off the surface. Is it flaking off as a thin brittle layer?

I will have to get a better look and will let you know. Otherwise, I'm convinced it's a good piece and for $20 I think it's a bargain.

Thanks,
    Adam

Good to me