Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??

Article about: Hi guys, my first post and I'm glad to be here. I'm new to collecting WWII medals. I want to buy a war merit cross and I found one that is in pristine condition. I was wondering if anyone co

Default War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??

Hi guys, my first post and I'm glad to be here. I'm new to collecting WWII medals. I want to buy a war merit cross and I found one that is in pristine condition. I was wondering if anyone could confirm its authenticity for me? It almost looks too good to be true, though the place I found it on has other WMCs that very worn looking and definitely authentic. I'm still having reservations about buying it. What do you all think?

THANKS FOR THE HELP! Glad to be here!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??   War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??
    P
    Many

Default Re: War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??

I could be wrong, but something does not look quite right with this one. The "1939" seems a bit off, but let's wait for some more comments.
    Tom

mmm.. Im not too happy with the numbers either.

Here is an original to compare:

Welcome to the forum by the way
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic?? 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks for the response guys. Another one. Looks a little less shimmery. I think this one is authentic?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??   War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??  

Oh, and for good measure, here is a very worn one I was also considering. This one has to be authentic right? Though I'm giving it a second look now... the numbers look a little thicker than the authentic example posted by Wolfspear:

ian
    ?

no i dont think its a good one , look at the swaz its alout of sorts ,right hand and bottom legs are out of preportion ,silver solder on the ring ??? no not a good one , cheers ian
    post 4
    post5 the arms are not equal?

?

all the date numbers look the same on each one of them so they're either from the same maker (if real) or from the same faker ????

I had the same thought Nick, the numbers just look a bit off although the rest of the detail doesn't look too bad.
    Could you please post photos that are straight on and not at an angle?
    Tom

?

I wouldn't be too quick to discount any of the crosses shown.
    The KVK2 was manufactured by many makers, and from several different materials, brass, bronze, tombak, zinc.
    The variations in materials and slight differences in details - dates, swastika, pebbling - from maker to maker should be considered before calling these fakes.
    The lighting and angle of the photos will make the arms look different lengths and die wear, mis-stamping can throw up anomalies in detail.
    Perhaps locloc08 can take some photos in natural light and re-post them? Can any of the crosses be bent be a small amount of hand pressure? (Don't put them in a vice and set about them with a hammer! )

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

ian
    ?

im talking about the cross in post 4 i personaly think this one is bad it is very poorly made , the detail is terrable and the swaz is all out of proporsion , no i dont think its the angle of the pic IMHO its a bad one ,cheers ian
    and the left arm is all out of prportion to the others

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast