Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

D-day 70 years on. 2014

Article about: Hello all..i am off to france (caen) on 31th may and will be thare till the 10th june, so i have just registered for access to the Juno centre on the 6th of June....being a family holiday, i

Default D-day 70 years on. 2014

Hello all..i am off to france (caen) on 31th may and will be thare till the 10th june, so i have just registered for access to the Juno centre on the 6th of June....being a family holiday, i might not get the time to do everything id like to....so i would like some help, please....what would be the top 5-10 places to visit in normandy....thanks in advance...i will take plenty of photos and post them...

?

Hello Darren sorry I can't help with Normandy area if it was the Somme I might be of a little more use. I'm sure somebody will come along soon with some top tips!!! Cheers Terry.

?

The American Cemetary on the top of Omaha beach, Point Du Hoc,St Mare Eglise, Pegasus Bridge and museum, if your lucky try and get to Omaha beach at 6.30am, the tide might be out and it will give you a guide as to how far the troops had to travel up the beach, take a drive along the coast road and see all the emplacements which still remain, also The Longues emplacements, and Merville Battery, be advised though you might find all these places swamped with visitors during early June and the local restuarants tend to raise their prices a bit, and bear in mind that all the battlefield areas of interest were used in the film The Longest Day, enjoy yourselves

Thanks ,Tango, Davejb...
    as you say davejb, i think you nailed all the places to see...thare is also a big fireworks display on june 5th at 23.00hrs all along the landing beaches so maybe ill watch it from a shell hole on the pointe de hoc...im sure the family would enjoy that.....

Normandy, 70 years after

Please, look at this link, for my friends, the only possiblity to go on some beaches is to use motorcycle, or horse.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/