Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Dunkirk comemorative march 2010

Article about: Hi all - thought you might find the photos on the link below interesting. Dunkirk march 2010 pictures by Maria-Elliott - Photobucket On the 70th anniversary of the retreat to Dunkirk, we ret

Default Dunkirk comemorative march 2010

Hi all - thought you might find the photos on the link below interesting.

Dunkirk march 2010 pictures by Maria-Elliott - Photobucket

On the 70th anniversary of the retreat to Dunkirk, we retraced the route on foot. In total we covered over 80 miles. A report on the trip will be published in WWII Reenacting magazine in the future.

Please feel free to ask any questions,

Ashley
    "I am a white male between the ages of 18 and 45 - everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

Default Re: Dunkirk comemorative march 2010

Hi Ashley, nice photos. Several mates of mine were on the march with you. Gary, Ramsey, James, etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

Great guys they are too! It really would not have been the same without them!

Ashley
    "I am a white male between the ages of 18 and 45 - everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

Hi Ashley, I would have loved to have done the March too, but work commitments prevented me. My Uncle was at Dunkirk.

How hard going was it?

What was the highlight for you?

Cheers, Ade.

Very hard going at times. The key was to have good boots, and to have prepared your feet and kit beforehand.

I wear RAF parade shoes everyday for work so my feet are already flat and used to shoes/boots, so consequently I got away without any blisters and open wounds etc - but out of 26 of us, only two of us were that lucky. A couple of the guys really did damage their feet!

It was also important to set you kit right so it sat comfortably. After a mile or so, if it wasn't right you would certainly know about it!

There are three highlights for me;

1) staying in the Gloucester's bunker

2) the final end march in the station in Dover (look on youtube for the video - marching four abreast, bayonets fixed, to our piper - a very proud moment)

3) the comradeship that was established - never experienced anything like that at any other event.

There is a possibility of a repeat in 2012. 100 miles from Arras in a week.

Ashley

Hi Ashley, it all sounded great. I know what you mean about having your kit adjusted correctly as i have done the Arnhem march many times.

Here is a link for forum members:

YouTube - Dunkirk 2010 Commemorative March (clip 3 - arrival at Fort des Dunes)

Cheers, Ade.