Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting into Re-enacting

Article about: That's excellent - Thanks for your help. Jack.

Question Getting into Re-enacting

Hi all,

I'm looking to get into re-enacting. I've always been a bit of a history nut but as far as re-enactments go, I have little idea as to how I would get into a group in Britain.

I recently bought the book "Deutsche Soldaten" to try and build up my knowledge of the German gear/uniform, and although I have been looking around both this forum and the "War Relics" forum, I am still unsure as to where I would be able to buy the correct gear at a reasonable price.

Any help would be much appreciated .

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,
    Jack.
    Last edited by Red Ensign; 08-14-2012 at 01:16 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Jack.

[I]Land was created to provide a place for ships to visit.[/I]

Default Re: Getting into Re-enacting

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum!

Before you buy any kit, join a unit. Every unit will have their own standards and some suppliers will not be up to standard. So hold off buying anything.

While many groups are national in nature, some will be more regional orientated and tend to do shows in one particular part of the country. Bear this in mind when joining a group.

I can recommend several good German groups in the UK. All have high standards.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

join first, tell them what you may need

Most of them will have restrictions on what you can have in terms of clothing and equipment and you will probably have to start as the lowest rank, so no Knights crosses or officers visor caps etc...

Have fun
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Adrian,

Many thanks for the warm welcome .

I'm located in Lancashire - Which group(s) would you all recommend?

Also, how much could I expect to pay for a full set of gear?

Thanks guys,

Jack.

These three groups are national in nature and all are run by personal friends of mine. Standards are high.

Panzer Füsilier Regiment Großdeutschland Living History Group

2/Pz. Aufkl.Abt. Grossdeutschland - UK based WW2 German Re-enactment Group

Home Page

See here to get an idea of prices:

Richard A Underwood - WW2 Militaria and Re-enactment Supplies
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Excellent, many thanks!

What's the joining process of these groups? How does the 'training' process work?

Also, does Richard A. Underwood have a shop?

Thanks once again,

Jack.

Hi Jack, it is best to go to an event and meet up and have a chat with the group concerned. You will be shown some of the kit and told what and where to buy. If you like them and they like you, you will be given a membership form. You will then pay your membership fee. At your first few events you will be shown how to wear the uniform correctly, use your kit, learn to march, drill, field craft, etc. It is hard work at times, but a lot of fun. You need to be reasonably fit. Many groups run training weekends once or twice a year.

Richard attends most of the big UK shows, other than that he sells online. Again he is a mate of mine.

Cheers, Ade.

Excellent, I'll look into them and take a trip down to a few events.

How often do these groups usually meet up? I'm in the Merchant Navy and so I can be away for a few months at a time - Is everyone expected to turn up at all events? This might be the only issue for me.

Thanks for all your help,

Jack.

Most groups have an event once a month, certainly during the summer.

Most would not expect you to attend them all.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast