Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pics : Tiger Day at Bovvy 2017

Article about: Just a couple of snaps quickly downloaded straight off the camera - no photobucketry. - Tiger 131 at Bovington this afternoon. Me and Granatwerfer had never seen it run before - we were luck

Cool Pics : Tiger Day at Bovvy 2017

Just a couple of snaps quickly downloaded straight off the camera - no photobucketry. -

Tiger 131 at Bovington this afternoon. Me and Granatwerfer had never seen it run before - we were lucky with the weather and choosing a viewing space. There were a lot of people there !

Arrow

Can't resist it - here's another one.

Sorry about the gushing enthusiasm - I've had a lifelong fascination with the Tiger and the opportunity to see and hear one up close like this - well, what can you say ?

131 looks in great condition..

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    131 looks in great condition..
    Yes it is, a "ground up" rebuild and I believe some of the original firms who engineered the systems assisted in the rebuild,

I hoped to go today as I am in Wiltshire but circumstances got the better of me I'm afraid. I have seen it on display in the museum but never running.

Thanks for the pics

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thumbs up

I'm glad you like them - I had some fun with my little pocket camera today ! Do try to get along to see 131 - the next Tiger Day is in September. Full marks to the guys at Bovington for all their efforts.

For myself, I'm holidaying in Normandy in June, and when I get to Villers Bocage, I'll have some of these images in my minds' eye....

Just to add to Martin's post, here is a small video of the Tiger on the move. Not the greatest but the best I could do with my camera. Also one of the Panzer III on the move.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008966972856

Did it surprise you with its smoothness and lack of mechanical noise? I was expecting some kind of metal tyrannosaur with the ground shaking etc and instead saw a smooth running relatively quiet piece of mechanical genius.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Did it surprise you with its smoothness and lack of mechanical noise? .
    In a word - yes ! ( Dare I say it, but I thought the Meteor engine in the Comet sounded nicer ).

BUT - I've always remembered as a schoolboy reading the comment in Major Kenneth Macksey's book 'Tank' where he says : - ' The cough of ( the Tiger's) engine starting up in the distance was something all Allied soldiers remembered with respect'.

We were lucky yesterday that at the end of the display, the Tiger very conveniently 'shut down' precisely where we were standing. I waited and waited and - yes ! I heard the cough !

Great to see it moving.

The one and only time I went to Bovvy it was not there, it was off having work done on it. I have always meant to go back.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Sure looks nice,are those the narrow transport tracks it`s running on?....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast