So does he get a black wound badge ????
The article read - "He was using a reproduction designed to go bang and puff smoke out the end to give you a feel of how it works"
Poor bugger got that 'feel' alright - brrr........
" When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "
I was a mortar man in the LSSAH when I reenacted back in the 70's & 80's. Our mortars actually fired projectiles (soft plastic bottles with a small black powder charge inside) that exploded after they hit the ground. I guess things like that are not allowed now.
I recall reading an article several years ago about a fellow who had a Civil War cannonball that for whatever reason he applied heat to and it exploded killing him. Guess you never know!!
take care always around munitions.
I was at this event and although i missed the actual incident, I saw the aftermath. Luckily it was a multi period event and one of the chaps from I think an ECW group was a paramedic in real life so along with the St John's Ambulance the poor chap had immediate help. The ambulance was called straight away and those of us not involved helped clear the arena of the public. The emergency services were there very quickly and treated both the injured chap and I believe his son who was suffering from shock. Not a nice end to what had been a good event up until that point, but the way everyone helped out with both the injured party and moving the crowd etc showed teh best in our hobby.
lots of older guys around my area have missing fingers from working for the railroad, it's a common injury for old timers