Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

War and Peace Revival 2016

Article about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYoDV4cA5Yw War and Peace Revival is one of the best military shows I have ever been to! Here is a video I made containing videos and pictures of the event on

Default War and Peace Revival 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYoDV4cA5Yw

War and Peace Revival is one of the best military shows I have ever been to! Here is a video I made containing videos and pictures of the event on Thursday 21st of July, including the amazing displays by enthusiasts and the re-enactment battle between Germans and Americans. Hope you enjoy

mpw
    ?

Thanks for the post. I couldn't make the event this year so great to see some footage. The dust certainly adds to the atmosphere too.

Regards, Mark.

?

Question

I went to the show 3 or 4 times when it was at Beltring/Kent.
    Where did they move it to? Looks like they might have a lot larger/better location.
    Guess I'm going to have to plan to go again next year.
    Sarge

It moved to Folkestone Race Course 3 years ago....apparently on a 5 year deal..and it's rumoured the Course will be built on upon completion. If this is true it could be at a new site in 2019...let's see.

'great pics Charles - thanks for sharing. Vehicle numbers appeared to be down on previous years although the layout makes this hard to judge. Dealers didn't all seem happy with the relocation of the entrance which is now the other side of the Race Course rather than right next to the stalls themselves....you certainly didn't want to lug heavy purchases up that hill! ;-)

Quote by Sarge View Post
    I went to the show 3 or 4 times when it was at Beltring/Kent.
    Where did they move it to? Looks like they might have a lot larger/better location.
    Guess I'm going to have to plan to go again next year.
    Sarge
    It moved to the Folkstone Racecourse, right next to Westenhanger train station. The location is excellent for exhibitors from abroad because it's only 20 mins from the Dover ferryport and right next to the M20, but the site itself is less 'cozy' than the Hop Farm... Difficult to explain, you should visit to see what I mean.

I went for a full week, from sunday to sunday and I had a great time as usual. It seems there were about 30% less vehicles exhibited this year though, and also a bit less Living History and traders than usual. This might have to do with the new management, that changed a few things and are still getting used to the (for them) new MV-scene.

The weather was great, even a bit too hot to spend all day at the stalls (we had 40C & full sun on one day). The traders were complaining about less people, but that might have been due to the weather too. I mainly looked around for some basic webbing items I found in the cheap piles as usual. It was fun to note the huge differences in prices between traders for identical items, from simple webbing pieces to weapons. In one case I saw I could have saved £1000 by literally walking to the next stall, if I were looking for a Lewis gun.

Overall, there are a lot of things that need changing but most are minor details. It's still a great show but the next few years will be crucial, in the way the new management will lead the show and if they can continue to use the present location, as there are plans to develop it.

Below are a few random pics I made of various exhibited vehicles. Enjoy!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War and Peace Revival 2016   War and Peace Revival 2016  

War and Peace Revival 2016   War and Peace Revival 2016  

Quote by Composite View Post
    ... Dealers didn't all seem happy with the relocation of the entrance which is now the other side of the Race Course rather than right next to the stalls themselves....you certainly didn't want to lug heavy purchases up that hill! ;-)
    There were free buggies provided for that, dealers could ask the organization and they would transport you and your new heavy purchase right to your car in the free visitors' carpark right next to the public entrance for free. There was also a visitors' entrance at the usual place, for the people arriving by train.

XJ40JC
    ?

I suppose as good a place as any to have my first post.

I stalled out down there, and considering the obviously lack of footfall I can't complain.
    I sold some bits off that I forgot I had and came away with some pieces that really add to my collection.
    The gripes with the new owners are warrented, their new ways directly resulted in a lack of stalls, vehicles and reenactment groups....and we'll see less next year, every stall holder I spoke to doubted they'd come back again.

There is a breakaway group setting up a new show at the hop farm in a couple of weeks, military world I believe it is called. Trying to get it back to what it was. Certainly worth a visit.

JC

There is indeed a new Fair at the Hop Farm...and I guess we all want it to be just like War and Peace used to be....but it won't be. My preference, being greedy, is to have two fairs which don't overlap - there used to be loads all over the country but over time I've seen many die. I'd certainly hate to see the War and Peace franchise lost, where ever it's held. Changes were predictable, some worked, some didn't but I saw the new guys correct things during the 5 days - they were learning. I'm told there were new charges for vehicles which clearly impacted, and next year the place will be crawling with kids from Day 1 as they get in free AND it's being moved to coincide with school hols. BUT the risk is everyone walks away hoping and praying for "War & Peace II" and it dies on it's arse....that will be OUR fault. I think there's a new audience too - as we've seen at Tankfest, a lot of the attendees now are from the virtual world, indeed, some look like they've never actually been outside before. Whilst their gun-fire noises when holding a real piece for the first time were irritating their money goes into the coffers which help keep things going. Personally I'd like to see a "Preview Day" for collectors...or perhaps just an earlier opening window at an increased charge...say 8-10 before everyone else piles in. Either way it's down to us to keep these things alive - we can hear (and fear) the supposed changes all year long but if we don't attend due to something we THINK we won't like the business case won't stack up. And yes, we are over a barrel.........

?

Question

Exactly where is the new location? I will probably fly into RAF Meldenhall - if it's still there - and rent a car. Worst case scenario is that I will fly into Germany and drive over from there.
    I will also need to make contakt with the re-enactors (either WW 2 or Viet Nam) so I can get into the place for free as one of them.
    Ahh well I've got almost a year to get it all sorted out.
    Sarge

https://warandpeacerevival.com/

You'll need to get to Folkestone Racecourse........Mildenhall isn't next door ...that place called London is in the way! ;-)

'hope to see you next year

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast