Become our sponsor and display your banner here

CTD 1942 bubbaed??

Article about: I recently found two German WW2 buckles at a militaria/flea market. I don't really collect WW2 German, but the price was low, and I like the Crank style catch, and the eagle of the Luftwaffe

Default CTD 1942 bubbaed??

I recently found two German WW2 buckles at a militaria/flea market. I don't really collect WW2 German, but the price was low, and I like the Crank style catch, and the eagle of the Luftwaffe. This buckle is marked CTD1942, and has the crank catch. What caught my eye was the shine of the very bright silver face (which looks far more grey in the photo). The dealer said it was bubbaed up and silver plated by an idiot. So, for $20 I could buy it. Since I like the crank style catch and only hacve this style on some Finnish buckles I bought it.

When I got home, I decided to paint over the silver, and make it a tropical buckle, so that my eyes would not have to look at such a shiney buckle.

Then, one day I turned it over and noticed it was painted a very dark blue or blue/black. I started to wonder if I was hte idiot, as how could someone silver plate one side of a buckle, and not the other? Then, I pulled out my Nash, and noticed that in 1942 CTD produced silver buckles for the Luftwaffe.

SO, Do I have:
    1. a bubbaed modern post war silvered buckle?
    2 A real buckle that should be this way?
    3.A total fake?

But, the same hope that it is real (from page 461 ) is dashed by page 165, which says the silver buckles had a pebbled surface like the Alum. buckles.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated. THe good thing is I really can't lose on this- I like the style of the catch, and if I ever reenact Luftwaffe field div, I can paint the front olive green and be happy

Patrick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04288.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	503049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04290.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	503050  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04296.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	503051  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: CTD 1942 bubbaed??

Patrick, original crank catch Luft buckle by Christian Theodore Dicke, the paint on the front has been scraped off and the buckle buffed up, but it is original
    Ben