Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Luft nickel plated steel parade buckle?

Article about: Hi guys, I got this a few weeks ago with a few other buckles as my first few aquisitions after re-starting collecting. I posted in the forum and it got the thumbs up, although advised to may

Default Luft nickel plated steel parade buckle?

Hi guys,

I got this a few weeks ago with a few other buckles as my first few aquisitions after re-starting collecting. I posted in the forum and it got the thumbs up, although advised to maybe leave it and wait for a better condition version. I took it anyway as it was cheap and I liked it. It's actually nickel plated steel, unmarked. The flash in pic makes it look shinier than it really is.

Anyway, here's the thing, I'm reading through Nash's book and on page 165 he writes...

The general use by the Luftwaffe of steel buckles may have been preceded by the introduction of a nickel plated steel buckle for parade use. These are quite rare however and were made probably prior to the 1942 pebbled steel silver washed verson...
    There is a pic of the nickel plated steel on Pg 177, and it appears to be identical to mine, although mine doesn't have a tab. Any opinions on how rare they are and was I right to take it? I'm chuffed actually, maybe not that rare or valuable, but I liked it anyway.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luft nickel plated steel parade buckle?   Luft nickel plated steel parade buckle?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luft nickel plated steel parade buckle?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luft nickel plated steel parade buckle?

Lenny, for me maybe it was done private privately by the owner? I dont why they would have used nickel that late in the war for parades? Buckle is good anyway and if it was cheap then why not from the ears could be a Noelle & Hueck made buckle, I will have a look later
    Ben

Nash seems to suggest that they were made prior to 1942, wouldn't say that is late as the steels only started about 41? Would anyone really have a steel buckle nickel plated?

Lenny yeah I took a look in Nash book you are right Nice buckle and great find. timothy

Cheers Timothy, I'm happy with it...