Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1st Model w/ Damascus pattern blade @ auction

Article about: Guys, thought you'd like to have a look. Hal

Just thought that I would add the fact that the Damascus being fake is nothing new. Artificial Damascus was commonly used by knife makers-the same as artificial stag grips, etc. It just depended on how much money you wanted to spend on something.

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Auction Houses are not connoisseurs of Edged Weapons nor anything else IMO...yet they do have a few competent employees who know what they are looking at..but not always the case all the time.

Auction houses are more " Cattle Herders " than experts..some things that do pass through their hands are good and others..just plain junk. The problem is not the Auction people as most of them are clueless sitting behind a lap top and posting them on their sites..the problem is the people putting their trust and faith in these places and end up paying $800 ( as above sold ) for something that is made up of parts historically devalued down to $99.

These perusing people surfing the internet do not know that websites like ours exist...but will spend hrs surfing for something to buy with a swastika on it..and not surf for knowledge if its " Real or Fake " as most of our Forum titles appear here.

I can see why the final bid was $800....a 1st Luft Damascus Dagger will sell for $3500 US. Congratulations to those here on this thread and those who did not bid on this dagger outside this forum. The Community of Study has paid off...all for $25 to become a member on this WRF website.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I've seen at least two other (non-Damascus) fake named 1st Model daggers in relatively recent times with one having a supposed photo complete with other postwar "authentication". With one of the things that he (the authority) failed to mention in his COA for the dagger in question being that Luftwaffe regulations did not permit the Officer(s) to wear a 1st model. Which would not have been his only trip to the "woodshed", because he had a similar problem earlier with a government property Luftwaffe dagger. Best Regards, Fred

Well Gents, here are my observations.
    Im not going any deeper into the fact if the blade is a proper damast etched one.
    I will simply compare his name and rank whats on the blade.
    There was indeed a Helmut Arpke and he was a RK awarded war hero.
    But looking at his name and compare it then you will find out that his first name isnt spelled right.
    Then his rank: Hauptmann: he never was one, the highest rank was oberleutnant (awarded after his death), 1 rank below Hauptmann.
    Therefore this can only be a fake.

Hellmut with double LL............the english way to spell.

Facts about him:
    Helmuth Arpke:

Born 20/3/17 in Graudenz
    KIA 16/1/42 in Schaikowka

Gefreiter 1/10/36
    Unteroffizier 1/10/37
    Feldwebel 1/5/40
    Oberfeldwebel 1/2/41
    Leutnant 17/6/41
    Oberleutnant (postuum) 1/4/42

Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse 12/5/40
    Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse 12/5/40
    Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes 13/5/40
    Ärmelband KRETA 1941

Luftwaffe 1/10/35
    Unterführer Lehrgang 1/10/36 bis 28/2/37
    I. Bataillon / Fallschirm-Jäger-Regiment 1
    FJ-Sturm-Abteilung 'Koch' – Sturmgruppe Stahl 28/2/40
    1. Kompanie / Luftlande-Sturm-Regiment 1 28/7/40
    Zugführer – 2. Zug / 3./Luftlande-Sturm-Regiment 1
    6.Kriegsoffizier-Nachwuchs-Lehrgang an der Luftkriegsschule I 2/12/40 bis 22/2/41
    Kompanieführer – 3./Luftlande-Sturm-Regiment 1

Last edited by gerrit; 09-22-2015 at 07:22 AM.

Ger, Thank you for a good piece of Detective work to add to the discussion. . The three 1st Model daggers I mentioned above were also supposedly those of Luftwaffe war heroes. Best Regards, Fred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12