Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

2nd Luftwaffe Dagger

Article about: Hello, I have been lurking on this site for a while and finally joined. My parents purchased this dagger(pretty sure it is a miniature 2nd Luft) at the estate sale of a WW2 vet in the 90s, a

Default 2nd Luftwaffe Dagger

Hello, I have been lurking on this site for a while and finally joined. My parents purchased this dagger(pretty sure it is a miniature 2nd Luft) at the estate sale of a WW2 vet in the 90s, and I just started attempting to do some research on it. It has the maker's mark of Richard Plumacher with an etched design on both sides of the blade with the eagle in the middle. I have not been able to find an etched Plumacher online so obviously I am curious about the authenticity of it first. I can tell that yall are all very knowledgeable so I would appreciate any input! I've tried to get every angle picture I could think of.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd Luftwaffe Dagger   2nd Luftwaffe Dagger  

2nd Luftwaffe Dagger   2nd Luftwaffe Dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2nd Luftwaffe Dagger
    P
    Many

?

Welcome to the WRF Family. Glad you stopped lurking and joined. You will enjoy the members here. You took good photo shots! I have not seen this one before either with the etched blade but have seen the maker once before on a Luft 2nd model and wished I would have bought it. AS for etching I have only one bayonet etched (eickhorn) and another Sword also by (Eickhorn etched) in my collection of 30 years. Etching I am always nervous about if it was applied in WWII era or post WWII. Danny, Gerrit, Larry and many other Dagger guys will give their opinions as well. I have not seen a luft etch with just the eagle to left like that and have seen a different eagle with not so much of the droop tail centered within the etch. Eagles head is off. Just some thoughts but I have some doubts on etch but could be wrong. I believe this photo was posted on this forum awhile back and etch is post war but I think dagger is period.
    Attached Images Attached Images 2nd Luftwaffe Dagger 
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Hi DelBird..Rossi gives great advice..as many daggers continue to surface..with questionable etches. The flash on the camera tends to wash out critical detail on the etch itself. Hard to give an opinion on something hard to see into. There are some " Etchperts " as we lovingly call some of our seasoned Luft type collectors. They can give a more detailed response on your dagger and Etch.

You say this is a miniature..which I see that it may not . The details and fittings match that of what a full size 2nd Luft exhibits. The Pommel or the grip may have been replaced as the pommel does not fit the top of the grip well.
    Be patient one of the Type collectors will be along shortly and I will keep your thread at the top until you receive the answers you came here for. While you waiting..you can take a look through our Luftwaffe forum and compare.
    The producer Plumacher for 2nd Model Luftwaffe daggers is rarely seen on standard sized Daggers. IMO opinion the etch does appear to be printed on the blade upon higher magnification...yet again...I can be wrong due to the flash used.

Type in the forums search engine , ( at the upper right hand corner of the page ) which you will find quite effective in locating threads with just a few key words. Hang Tight ..the Luft Guys will be along soon. Enjoy your stay..and Welcome to the Forum Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for your quick reply! I looked again and you are right about it being a full size instead of a miniature. Also, the pommel and grip are pretty loose so your explanation of something being replaced would make sense. I look forward to finding out more about this dagger!

Hello and welcome. I hate to say it but this is a well known fake etched blade with the Plumacher mark. The rest looks period with generic fittings and what looks to be a scabbard made by SMF. I think alot of the fake etched blades were swapped out to up values for the unscrupulous dealers in the 60's through 80's.. Best, Kevin