Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger

Article about: 2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger...not in the greatest shape but so glad to have one.

Default 2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger

2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger...not in the greatest shape but so glad to have one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger   2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger  

2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger   2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger
    P
    Many

looks like its been in a fire.

Wow, look at that grip..has it been painted??

i think it was an orange handle at one time.. looks like it either got hot or something. cracked. even the wire is discolored. im open to ideas on what happened.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    looks like its been in a fire.
    Hi Lynchburg..thanks for posting this dagger separately....Im leaning also on what Harry has stated. At first glance..it appears to be a so called "Funeral Gripped " dagger..but looking at the foot of the grip closest to the ferrule ring..there appears to be some squishing or possibly melting. The scabbard looks to be an Airplane grey color..which would be original production color. Towards the top it looks hazy....or even rusty. Looking at the pommel it shows signs of what heavy smoke and heat can do..by turning into a grungy color on some spots.

Another rare to see Alcoso dagger..the grip..is the big question here for the Luft dagger collectors..............

1. Was this grip a very dark near Amber color before the so called fire?
    2. or did the heat contribute to the color change..as we see with these celluloid grips on Heer and Luft examples?

Should make a for a great discussion Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

This one may be worth taking apart to get more answers on the grip...... but my two cents says it was a dark orange/pumpkin grip and has been burned or subjected to heat along the way.

would you all recommend pulling this apart and looking at things
    ? would the handle be marked?

IMO, I believe this was probably in a fire or very high temp. if this was a "Funeral Gripped " dagger wouldn't the wire on the grip be silver? also the ferrule on this dagger seems to be a bit "charred" or something in that vicinity. I believe this was probably a pumpkin colored grip which turned black, along with the wire, in a fire or something like that.

Quote by lostinlynchburg View Post
    would you all recommend pulling this apart and looking at things
    ? would the handle be marked?
    I would not pull it apart as the grip could fall to pieces once pressure is released. Oddly looking at the grip it appears a bit oversized for the ferrule ring..and for the dagger itself. Just an Observation.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    I would not pull it apart as the grip could fall to pieces once pressure is released. Oddly looking at the grip it appears a bit oversized for the ferrule ring..and for the dagger itself. Just an Observation.
    I am going to agree with Larry. It looks over sized possibly due to heat. Taking it apart could release the tension holding it together and the grip could fall apart.