Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

2nd model Luftwaffe Dagger REPRO or REAL?

Article about: Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm relatively new to this area of collecting and have been contemplating a 2nd model Luft Dagger, but am quite hesitant the one I recentl

dege1977
    ?

Default 2nd model Luftwaffe Dagger REPRO or REAL?

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm relatively new to this area of collecting and have been contemplating a 2nd model Luft Dagger, but am quite hesitant the one I recently came across has the blade backwards with the make mark "F.W. Holler" partly obscured. Could this possibly be because it says "Berlin" instead of the correct "Solingen." I've attached pics of it. Any advice or identification/information would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to waste money on a repro or fake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd model Luftwaffe Dagger REPRO or REAL?   2nd model Luftwaffe Dagger REPRO or REAL?  

2nd model Luftwaffe Dagger REPRO or REAL?   2nd model Luftwaffe Dagger REPRO or REAL?  

2nd model Luftwaffe Dagger REPRO or REAL?   2nd model Luftwaffe Dagger REPRO or REAL?  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: 2nd model Luftwaffe Dagger REPRO or REAL?

Welcome Dege to the forum!

save your money, its a repro.
    When the blade says it has been made in Berlin we are talking about a dagger made after 1945, they produced them as souvenirs, but were forbidden to use the correct names of the company's, so in this case it was changed to " Berlin " instead of Solingen.

Cheers,
    Ger

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I would prefer to know if is does actually read Berlin.

At the moment, I think it looks OK?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

dege1977
    ?

The dealer has stated that the maker mark is stamped "Solingen" under the F.W. Holler. I will be inspecting it personally this weekend. Is there anything else that would possibly give it away as a reproduction or fake? I have consulted some books and many threads to ensure authenticity and just found it odd that the blade looks as though it was taken apart and put back together wrong.

This is quite the possibility, as this may be a parts dagger mixed with some recently made parts. I highly suspect the pommel and crossguard eagle not to be period. There is also an inconsistent pattern of patina and no patina at all through the whole assembly. Dege1977... you are on the right track when you say you are researching,, i suggest you dig a little deeper and compare with other examples. Most will say,, without wanting to research it themselves.."is this real?" it would be best not only to accept the opinion of a seasoned collector but also studying the answers for yourself. Even the seasoned collector can be wrong at times,, but not as much as those who do not study at all. IMO there are some issues with this dagger and the hangers themselves. You are doing well.. keep studying! Regards Larry

The hangers are either the best ones I ever saw or fresh reproductions. Since you have to turn the blade around anyway, look at the condition of the tang. If it looks new or has brand new rust on it and not old nasty rust, it would be a reproduction, albeit one of the nicest ones I have yet seen.

Mark

One of things that I would be looking at more closely is the grip. Which in the images posted - seems to have a strange somewhat mottled orange on orange appearance (at first I thought that maybe it was the lighting, but after some study and changing settings it still seemed to be something other than lighting). With cast phenolic resin originals aging, but (usually) in a different way. (Note: Also having occasionally seen postwar through and through yellow or orange grips with no evidence of ever being white which is how they were manufactured.) With another area of interest for me being the off center drilling of the tang hole which is more noticeable at the pommel end. FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd model Luftwaffe Dagger REPRO or REAL?  

Any more pics?

There are some good observations posted here for you to take note of.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

i have never seen hangers with that backing material, or those large rivit's securing the ends of the strap. and its metal fittings just look a little odd . it could be i have just never seen that type before.
    andrew